files (the format cell phones shoot video in), so I bought AVS Video
Editor. Worked fine. Now the new computer (Win7 Home Premium) has a
version of Windows Movie Maker on it that seems to play nice with .3gp
files. BUT the new version of Windows Movie Maker is WAY too simple, or I
just can't figure out where everything is. So I need to purchase new
software. AVS might be fine again, but if there's any other input, I'm
game.

Here's what I need:
1. Ability to work with .3gp files is a must.
2. Ability to display the preview on top and timeline/storyboard on
bottom with separate lines for extra audio, subtitles, etc. is
preferred.
3. If I could rotate videos 90 degrees, that would be nice. Sometimes cell phone videos don't get recorded at the right angle.
4. Under $100 for the price.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Video editing software that can work with .3gp files
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Video editing software that can work with .3gp files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
I'm going with none.

ALL and I mean ALL video editors have to decode the content to flat images and re-encode back to the intended format.

Not one editor I know can keep the content in 3GP (or almost any other encoding) from start to finish. I wonder if you remember why this is?

If you just need to rotate then there are solutions such as HANDBRAKE and Virtual Dub but I can not write tutorials on this. It's on the web but the requirement is for now not possible.
Bob

- Collapse -
I don't need to output in 3gp

I don't need to output in 3gp, just on my old computer running Vista, I couldn't get anything but AVS to decode the 3gp files. Does the fact that my Movie Maker software decodes 3gp mean that the codecs are already on my computer and just about anything will work?

- Collapse -
Sorry.

My reply was to the requirements given. I don't know any title that met that list.

However I have for years used too many titles and learned to just roll with whatever it takes to get from point A to point B. Even if I have to transcode content with those titles I noted.
Bob

CNET Forums