Camcorders forum

General discussion

Video Editing software for Windows

by packerfanz / February 27, 2007 6:21 AM PST

I?m new to the home video and digital camcorder world. What suggestions are there for video editing software on a Windows based home computer? Do I need special software to compress the imported camera file and another program to edit it? What formats are easiest to work with? Any suggestions on where to learn more about video editing, burning and posting videos to the web?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video Editing software for Windows
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video Editing software for Windows
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Lesson 1. Connect with firewire.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 7:41 AM PST

This is likely the hardest part of the lesson. Many will repeat the question "Why?" but as soon as we connect with firewire many things magically begin to work.

Lesson 2. Try Windows Movie Maker 2.

Not too good in my book but can get you going.

Lesson 3. Toss Movie Maker 2 and move up.

I like the titles from Ulead.com, demos are free and later you may like Sony Vegas.

There it is. Almost all the steps people go though condensed to fit in this small space.

Bob

Collapse -
NOOOO get Adobe Premiere Elements
by shahrokhan / February 28, 2007 3:54 PM PST

Up till now this is one of the best and easiest to use video editing software. It is based on an advanced video editor namely Premiere Pro which was used to make Superman Returns. It is quite stable and I love it.

Collapse -
Ummmmmmmm, Sony Vegas is more powerful than Premier Pro.
by Kiddpeat / February 28, 2007 8:16 PM PST

It will run rings around Adobe Premier Elements. There is a 'Studio' version of Vegas which is more comparable to Premier Elements.

I'm not sure why 'stability' is a virtue. Most well known applications these days are stable.

Collapse -
cooool
by shahrokhan / March 1, 2007 10:52 AM PST

i dint know that there was a studio version. well i will have to check it out. as far as i have heard most ppl say that the premiere elements is easiest to use. we r talking of a beginner here.

Collapse -
Pinnacle Studio
by jmg1983 / March 6, 2007 11:56 AM PST

I recommend Pinnacle Studio. Pretty easy to learn interface, and it will do everything you need it to.

Also, let's be clear: Superman Returns was NOT edited using Adobe Premiere Pro. It was simply digitized. Big difference. Needless to say though, Premiere Pro is a great editor. But not the right editor for home videos, or multi-million dollar blockbusters.

Collapse -
Any new recommendations?
by shirohniichan / October 13, 2008 5:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Pinnacle Studio

Are there any better software titles out now for beginners learning to edit home videos?

I'm looking for something to help me edit video, add background soundtracks, and possibly even make slide shows (with a soundtrack).

Collapse -
Is there something wrong with
by boya84 / October 13, 2008 6:54 AM PDT

or have you tried MovieMaker (Windows) or iMovieHD (Macintosh)?

Collapse -
editing software, hi def, hi-8 noise at the bottom (sync
by pickdude1 / July 16, 2009 11:40 AM PDT

Having a world of a time using my old Hi-8 to MovieMaker. I'm getting the sync noise on the bottom of the video and the sound isn't syncing up with the video...any help? I also have very contrasting 70's looking video color. Three problems and no answers...any help, Pllleeeeaaasssseeee!!! It used to be so easy with Dazzle.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.