Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Video editing software/DVD hardware conflicts

I'm new to all this -- Looking to buy a DVD burner (for data backup and other purposes)and an external analog video capture device to transfer 8MM and VCR tapes to DVD.

Should I be concerned about the video capture device's software that converts the tapes to DV conflicting with the software that comes with the DVD burner to edit and burn the file?

Based on what I've read, seems the video capture device's conversion software may dictate what I can use once I've converted the file and moved it to my harddrive. Is that correct? If so, is there a workaround.

thanks JC

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video editing software/DVD hardware conflicts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video editing software/DVD hardware conflicts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No and no.

In reply to: Video editing software/DVD hardware conflicts

Collapse -
Look at the HP dc5000.

The last time I looked, I think they were about $200 at Best Buy. It includes a burner which can burn dual layer DVD media. You connect your source (like a VCR), tell it how long it needs to convert and record, and walk away. It will convert your analog material to digital format, and write it out to a DVD all by itself. It will also function as a DVD drive for the rest of your system. It can play DVDs and CDs, or burn them under computer control.

One major downside. It will not convert copy protected tapes. For those, I use a digital camcorder which converts the material and sends it to the computer using a firewire connection. There are several other possible solutions.

Collapse -
Plextor devices

I have the Plextor PX-TV402U, and a Plextor DVD burner.

They get along together fine.

http://www.plextorshop.com/products/product_dvc.html

This device will let you read a VCR tape and record it directly to DVD. Or you can go to hard disk if you prefer.

The TV402U model will also let you go from TV directly to DVD (or to hard disk if you prefer).

You can save a bit of money by using:
Coupon Code: DVDDROPIN when you order.

Note: USB2 is required

Collapse -
Video editing software/DVD hardware conflicts

At this point in time if you just want to convert to dvd without editing the video just get a stand alone DVD recorder many out there $150~300. If you want to edit then you will need a video capture card to import the video to your PC then edit it and then burn the DVD.
Sony has the DVR-10 which is a stand alone DVD recorder and a USB external Dual layer DVD burner, about $260 at Newegg. John

Collapse -
Thanks all

If I purchase a DVD recorder to copy directly from the VCR or camcorder to the dvd player, could I later edit the the file by copying the DVD onto my hardrive and using whatever video editing software I wind up buying?

thanks

Collapse -
No.

In reply to: Thanks all

If you copy said DVD to the hard disk, software like Ulead's DVD Moviefactory 4 will not touch it. However if you followed their directions and left it on the DVD it will be possible to edit it and create a new DVD.

Demo over at ulead.com

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.