HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

video editing nightmare

by adavenport108 / January 24, 2008 5:48 AM PST

I am trying to make a nice finished DVD from my sony handycam mini dvd . I need to figure out how to NOT record the audio when i burn the CD and I need to clean up the video of unwanted shots for a nice finished DVD. Problem is it seems I need to be a professional Videographer to do my job and I am just not getting the end result i want. I bought a new Pinnacle studio Version 11 and i have a hp pavillion dv4000 laptop and when i plug the USB in the computer from the camera it reads device not found. Im not sure what im doing wrong but im sure theres much. I have i guess the word is uploaded the minidvd to my handycam program and can see all the seperate clips but i cant edit them. At one point the Video editing program suggested i update my drivers (i went to hp and microsoft and thought I did update them) but im still having trouble . I need to learn this fast and it seems like there is tons to learn (like i tried to right click an convert the images to mpeg so i could sent the video file to someone and also use it in the program and it didnt work.) I would loooooooooooove any help. thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: video editing nightmare
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: video editing nightmare
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2008 7:18 AM PST
Collapse -
Need More Info
by dsapadin / January 24, 2008 10:57 AM PST

I'd like to help but I need more information. If you are using Pinnacle Studio 11, then you ought to be capturing your video while using that software. Pinnacle Studio, although it had lots of stability issues in the past, is supposedly stable now with version 11. Your camcorder needs to connect to your computer via Firewire. Make sure it is turned on in VCR mode and then open up Studio 11. Click on the capture tab and you should be controlling your camcorder from within Pinnacle. Click on play (on your computer monitor which will show you a graphical version of a camcorder) and then Studio 11 will capture your video. When done, click stop. Then click on the EDIT tab and edit away. There are 3 major tabs at the top of Pinnacle Studio. Capture, Edit, and Make DVD. You can remove the audio by locking the video track but not locking the audio track. Then select and cut the audio track wherever you want.

Dave

Collapse -
sony handycam mini dvd ?? I hope you ment MiniDV!!!!
by jcrobso / January 24, 2008 11:55 PM PST

If in fact you have a DVD camera getting good video is not easy to do.
Make sure you finalize the DVD then rip the video from the DVD in your laptop.
Sony's $99 Vegas editing software would be a better choice.
If you need a DVD ripping program look here. John
http://www.videohelp.com/

Collapse -
So many possibilities
by Jamfan55 / January 27, 2008 12:18 AM PST

and so little information.
Even with a Firewire, when you try to capture from within your editing program, you'll get that "device not found" message if the cam isn't turned on or set to play.

HP, Pinnacle and Sony all seem to be designed to have a lot of proprietary compatiblity issues. You may be having some conflict there.

Get rid of the miniDVD cam and get a cam that records to miniDV tapes. MiniDVDs are designed for instant gratification - you "record it, finalise it, and pop it in your DVD player".
Due to compression issues, anything more than the most basic editing functions are gonna be a big hassle, at least for us tech-challenged newbies.
You'd be much better off capturing in an uncompressed format (like DV-AVI), editing, and then rendering/burning your finished product.

You're right about one thing though; There's tons to learn, mostly by trial and error and wasted time. Even if you can figure out your editing software's very limited instructions, it's only good if you're doing what THEY think you should be doing. Anything else is gonna cost extra (especially with Pinnacle)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.