Computer Help forum

General discussion

Video Driver

by dave cnet / September 30, 2005 3:16 AM PDT

Hi, to describe this may well get somewhat messy. I'll attempt to explain yhe problem, anyway.

A couple of months ago I had to re-install Windows (following a mini-catastrophe). I used a CD supplied by Rock, my PC supplier, not the original Windows SP1 CD, but a new SP2 version, with their own logo on the disc.

I added the drivers from another CD which had accompanied the PC when new (in July 03).

Unfortunately, the video display clearly had a problem. If I tried to move windows around the screen, or scroll, movements wer slow & jerky. Looking in "Device Manager", I found a yellow question mark by "Other Devices, with a sub section called "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)", also by a yellow "?".

I communicated with my PC supplier, who gave me a link to ATI driver files. After some clumsiness, I eventually successfully downloaded them, but installing wasn't straightforward. ATI's auto exexute "Setup" file couldn't find appropriate files, but if I used Windows own Driver Update, I could identify similar (though not identical) files to those requested.

My scrolling is back to normal now, so some success. But WinDVD refuses to play DVDs, coming up with the announcement ""Create Overlay Failed. Please lower your screen resolution or color depth and try again". Needless to say, no adjustment would allow it to work.
In "Device Manager" now, the "other devices" entry has changed to "Monitor", with 3 icons of screens below, but no details are given.

I understand that Windows should have recognised the ATI Radeon VGA card, and installed basic drivers. It didn't. And now it seems that ATI's own software doesn't recognise it.

It has been suggested to me that the video chipset could be defective. Could it all be related to a screen replacement a few months ago? But then everything worked perfectly until the crash (caused by Panda, you might like to know!).

I am at an obstacle with my PC company, in that they will repair FOC if it's a physical defect, but charge an arm & a leg if it's software related.

Any ideas, anybody?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video Driver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video Driver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Vid drivers
by Bob__B / September 30, 2005 7:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Video Driver

Just had a similar go around with nvidea drivers.

Here's the trick.

Download the driver.

Start the install.

This will copy files to some "other" folder.

Part way through the install you'll get a pop up saying 'can't find file'.

Point the installer at the "other" folder and all is well.

Geez. talk about user friendly!!!

Collapse -
Video not recognised
by dave cnet / October 3, 2005 2:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Vid drivers

Hi, thanks Bob B.

I don't think this will be the full answer for me. I went through a similar procedure earlier. I think my problem is more fundamental, with the monitor / VGA card (?) unrecognised. The auto-execute install won't give me a chance to direct it towards anything. It simply comes up with the news that the hardware isn't recognised, then turns on its heels and pops out for a few beers, instead of sticking around to discuss the problem.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?