Computer Help forum

Question

video does not play while buffering.

by adxax / March 10, 2015 4:39 AM PDT

Hi all,

First post here and new to this website. I like to think that i know a bit about the computer. If I am stuck in a problem I would normally get and answer online but I have a problem now which I have looked for a lot and cant find a solution for it. I think i am the only one with this problem in the world.

The problem is when i try to play a video online the video starts loading like any other video (the revolving circle in the middle) but it stays there for a good few minutes and the video starts playing. I have noticed that when the video is played the whole video is buffered by that time.

The longer the video the longer the wait to load the video but when it plays you can go to any part of the video and it will play without a wait.

Although the main websites like youtube, dailymotion dont have this problem and they play just as normal.
The main problem is with the free file hosting sites like vodlocker, putlocker, nowvideo etc.

I have tried chrome and firefox and both have the same problem and I have used the same internet on my phone to stream these sites and they work fine on the phone so I am guessing something wrong with my computer settings.

Any questions please ask me.

Please help guys....Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: video does not play while buffering.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: video does not play while buffering.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
So are these the usual 1080p videos?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 10, 2015 4:47 AM PDT

I looked for prior discussions and folk are reporting the same. A phone would pick a lower resolution so it may not have the issue.

I hit up VODLOCKER but you didn't supply an example video or which resolution.
Bob

Collapse -
Normal resolution
by adxax / March 10, 2015 6:21 AM PDT

I've never checked the resolution of these videos, never fussed about it. It must be the default resolution. Thanks.

Collapse -
Then no example link?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 10, 2015 6:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Normal resolution

Sorry but I could try one but didn't find an example.

If you feel it's your PC, the usual advice applies. Reset the network, browsers, try other networks.
Bob

Collapse -
video link
by adxax / March 10, 2015 7:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Then no example link?
Collapse -
Took about 30 seconds to start playing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 10, 2015 11:55 PM PDT
In reply to: video link

I have a 20+ megabit connection so there was a wait before it played here too.

A 10 megabit connection could have been over a minute.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I don't think it is your problem
by renegade600 / March 10, 2015 6:53 AM PDT

Not all sites are created equally so I do not think it is a problem with your computer. I have been to those sites also in the past and experience the same but I believe the buffering is because of traffic at the site, infrastructure and the size of the files. They work better on the phone because of the resolution sent to the phone. In other words, the video files are much smaller. most websites know if they are being accessed by a mobile device or a computer and will send files accordingly. Also those sites do not have the infrastructure larger sites have in order to handle more traffic. I found buffering is not as bad during certain times of day and night. I believe it is something you will have to put up with.

Collapse -
by adxax / March 10, 2015 7:32 PM PDT

I have tried different sites and they all have the same problem if i try one of these free file hosts. I have tried different times as well. They all used to work perfectly fine until one day i came back from work and had problems with all these sites. since then i have tried so many different things but nothing works.

Collapse -
Answer
streaming vs a file
by James Denison / March 10, 2015 8:07 PM PDT

The bigger sites use "streaming software" whereas other sites just link you to the file and that means a full download before it plays. Streaming software handles the timed feed of the file on the server side, just a file link leaves it up to the client's player. They don't call it "streaming" for no reason at all.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!