Computer Help forum

General discussion

Video cards problems

by ViperX72 / June 21, 2010 5:04 AM PDT

hi everyone im trying to get my new video card working i know its not the site i should be asking in but the site for the card doesnt really give any help i upgraded to a ASUS AH3450/DI/512MD2(LP) Radeon HD 3450 512MB 64-bit DDR AGP 8X HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card and its not letting me install the drivers for it i have tryed getting the updated drivers from the site but its not working i have also tried what a guy at work suggested which is ( Restart the computer, press F8 as it boots up and in the startup menu select Safe Mode, after you log in , right click on "My Computer" if its an older Windows, or go to start and right click on "Computer", select properties, click on the "Hardware" tab if older, if not just click on "Device Manager", click View, Show Hidden Devices,expand Display adapters, and right click and select Uninstall on all of those and restart your computer and install the new drivers ) but it didnt work also when i try to play some games like (world of warcraft) i get a blue screen ( the physical memory dump screen) then my pc restarts any help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video cards problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video cards problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: video card problems
by Kees Bakker / June 21, 2010 5:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Video cards problems

That's a long story and still you don't tell the essence:
- what's your OS?
- what's your motherboard?
- what is the exact driver you install?
- what's the error code on the blue screen
- what are the details in the event log?

Kees

Collapse -
Re: video card problems
by ViperX72 / June 21, 2010 6:26 AM PDT

------------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: n/a
System Model: n/a
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.0
Processor: AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2400+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Page File: 311MB used, 2152MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

and i have a 400watt power supply also the Cd it came with doesnt do anything it loads and says its not compatible then ejects the cd. 10-6_agp-hotfix_xp32_dd_ccc is the drivers i was told to get from the asus site

Collapse -
Re Re:video card problems
by ViperX72 / June 21, 2010 7:13 AM PDT

motherboard is a asus a7v8x-x

im not to computer savvy so i dont know the code on the blue screen or the event log

Collapse -
Re: I don't know the code
by Kees Bakker / June 21, 2010 7:24 AM PDT

Being able to read is enough to read the code. It's something like 0x00000050. No need to be computer savvy for that.

All you have to know, is where to read it. That's on the blue screen. Hey, that disappears to fast. Then change the setting for it to stay.
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1647&page=4 tells how: "If you are using WindowsXP, right click on my computer > Properties > Select the 'Advanced' tab > and under 'startup and recovery' click the 'settings' button. This will open a new window, and under the 'System Failure' heading, uncheck 'Automatically restart.'"

And http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427 tells about the event log.

So please tell more. And please also run dxdiag (from start>run box) and do all video tests. If it crashes then try all settings of the 'hardware accelleration' in the display properties (right click on an empty part of the desktop, choose properties). Does that make a difference.

But first do as Bob says and install the driver from the CD.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: Re: I don't know the code
by ViperX72 / June 21, 2010 7:31 PM PDT

well i tried to load the game again just to see the code and it is 0x0000007f

Collapse -
Re: Re: Re: I don't know the code
by ViperX72 / June 22, 2010 4:06 PM PDT

any help on this dunno why its still doing it

Collapse -
I know why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2010 9:00 PM PDT

What I don't know is how to explain it in terms folk can accept. All my tech friends know this machine.
Bob

Collapse -
I have that card.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2010 5:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Video cards problems

USE THE CD IT CAME WITH.

And there might be updated drivers but I found the CD to work fine. The drivers I can safely bet you got from AMD are only for PCIe cards. Not AGP.

Here's your google!

--------->>>>>>>>> http://www.google.com/search?q=ATI+HOTFIX+AGP+3000

Get your HOTFIX not your PCIe.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. The other issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2010 5:32 AM PDT
In reply to: I have that card.

I find many don't upgrade the power supply to handle this card. You want a 400 or more Watt power supply. I DO NOT CARE WHAT THE SPECS SAY.
Bob

Collapse -
"AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2400+, "
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2010 7:29 AM PDT
In reply to: I have that card.

Wow, slow down there. That model used to be a common sight at the shop counters. After a few we learned fast to never accept them for repair. Here's why. After 5 years we found them to be as stable as a World War II land mine. The owners would blame you for all their machine ills even if you only replaced a bad mouse.

Run away from this machine fast.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2400+
by ViperX72 / June 21, 2010 6:59 PM PDT

yes i know its old i havent upgraded my computer in about 7 years and im slowly starting to get it better then it is now its just i have to do peace be peace. Also i have used the cd had to force it to load the drivers from it and it still does the same blue screen thing.

Collapse -
Sad.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2010 8:34 PM PDT

At least I know why it does that. It takes some owners a little longer so we give them time. The sad part is some get upset about it.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!