PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Video card upgrade for a older computer

by Chopslide / December 9, 2008 12:31 PM PST

I think my quest is futile but still have to ask
I am trying to play r factor racing game with my old desktop but I am afraid my video card is not capable
The stats
amd 1.4 duron
512 mgs ram
I don't really know what video
card is in this machine mabe built in ?
Is this a hopeless case
game minimum req call for a video card w/128 mgs ram
thanks for any responses

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video card upgrade for a older computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video card upgrade for a older computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What game?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2008 12:19 AM PST

But let me start with a graphics chip that I spec when we just want a boost without thinking about changing the power supply and more.

Look for the Nvidia fx6200 based cards in the interface that matches your open video card slot.
Bob

Collapse -
More info
by Chopslide / December 10, 2008 1:26 AM PST
In reply to: What game?

Bob thanks for the reply! I have a little more info on this system
power supply is a 350 watt unit.There is a modem & sound card plugged into the motherboard(soundblasterlive) I have the case open now and still cant identify the presence of a video card.I will buy some more memory for this computer as well but don't know what kind to buy.I am kinda helpless but willing to learn. The game I am shooting for is R Factor a racing simulation Thanks again for any help

Collapse -
More info would be needed to tell more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2008 2:31 AM PST
In reply to: More info
Collapse -
more...
by Chopslide / December 10, 2008 4:13 AM PST

The mother board is a micro star ms5738 I cant find any info anywhere on line for it
It has 3 pci slots that look to me like 32 bit(one key far right)
above the 3 white slots is a black slot that is longer but mostly covered up by a aftermarket fan so I am not sure what that slot is
it has 3 memory slots blue that I think if memory serves me can take up to 512mg strips each is there a way that I can tell what kind of memory it takes? the more I get into this the best solution may be to buy a newer computer that has specs to cover what I need
I dont need the fastest thing around and really dont want to spend alot as this game idea is just for entertainment anyway.
Most of my computer use is for internet(email surfing and such)
and pictures. this old computer does that just fine...
any more info to help me make up my mind would be great!
thanks for your time
Brad

Collapse -
For PCI
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2008 5:35 AM PST
In reply to: more...
Collapse -
great help
by Chopslide / December 10, 2008 6:38 AM PST
In reply to: For PCI

Bob I checked out the link for the video card and had looked at those cards but find it hard to understand if it will work for my machine.
from my research today i believe that my pci slots are 32bit and this card say 64bit so that is why i am confused but I will take your word for it if you say it should.. work for my machine. The link to crucial was great the pc scanning tool identified the ram that I need so I am all set there. One of the reasons that I have a hard time giving you info on this machine is that it was custom built years ago and then upgraded by a local cputer tech in 02 with the new mobo and duron
I could remove the fan to get a better look at the slot above the pcis if you think it may be a slot that gives more options. thanks for all the help Brad

Collapse -
card
by Chopslide / December 10, 2008 6:46 AM PST
In reply to: great help
Collapse -
That's the AGP version.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2008 7:15 AM PST
In reply to: card

You can use google.com to get pictures of agp and other slot types. I offered the PCI version since you knew you had that open.
Bob

Collapse -
more new info
by Chopslide / December 10, 2008 8:08 AM PST
In reply to: card

Ok I have identified the slot above the pci's it is indeed an agp 1.5v slot now to find the best card for the buck to go in there
also I have a internal modem that is in a pci slot can I just make that go away so I have room to move the fan and soundblaster card down and out of the way of the new video card? I am hooked up to a network cable for internet so will removing the old modem hurt anything?
I found a S3 Graphics pro savage ddr under "display adapters" in the device manager would that be my existing graphics card?
Thanks again your help is appreciated
Brad

Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2008 8:50 AM PST
In reply to: more new info

I remove dial up modems with no ill effect 99% of the time.

I also NEVER uninstall the S3 drivers in spite of any written instruction to do so. I'll leave that alone and install the new card and drivers.

As to moving the sound card. IFFY if you'll notice any change but sometimes... Only way to know is to do that move.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.