Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Video card Upgrade

by jj16802 / February 8, 2006 10:00 AM PST

My PC is P4 1.5 Ghz, 512 MB DRAM, ATI Readon 9600 SE 128MB, only can play "BF2" and "Need for Speed Most Wanted" , "Quake 4" in low setting. Now I want to upgrade the video card to these:

PNY VCFX5756VAPB FX5700VE 256MB
SAPPHIRE 100132 Radeon 9800SE Advantage 256MB
eVGA 256-A8-N330 Geforce 6600LE 256MB

Does anybody know that I can play the game better (Like set to mid setting) if I only upgrade the video card? Thank you first!

JJ

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video card Upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video card Upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) can you answer my Q under yours?
by ps3fan / February 8, 2006 10:05 AM PST
In reply to: Video card Upgrade
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What do you mean?
by jj16802 / February 8, 2006 11:09 AM PST
Collapse -
JJ, Why Not Try More RAM First..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 9, 2006 12:41 AM PST
In reply to: Video card Upgrade

You don't state the operating system installed but if XP, then the 512 MB is choking your game..For running games efficiently, you'll want 1 GB or more. Although upgrading the card will certainly help, it can get expensive. RAM is cheaper and worth trying first..

Yes, the card will help but whether it will allow you to amp up the settings, it's tough to tell unless you get the system RAM up to speed.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
What do you think? Grif
by jj16802 / February 9, 2006 1:01 AM PST

My PC is using window XP sp2, memory is 4 X 128MB RAMBUS (PC800). Memory costs much (2 X 512MB need 2 X $125) than a video card ($100). I ever think about
to upgrade CPU, But the motherboard I used is socket 423, so I can only upgrade to P4 2.0Ghz and this need $200, My PC is too old. Do you have any good idea? Thanks a lot. Grif.

JJ

Collapse -
JJ, Rambus Is Expensive But I'd Still ...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 9, 2006 1:38 AM PST

..upgrade it first...Adding the 2 X 512 MB would help substantially. Probably more than the video card upgrade..The card you have isn't bad, has a fair amount of it's own memory, and the upgrade may not help as much as the increase of overall system RAM. That may be the cheapest option to get a little more life out of your machine. Still, you have a number of options.

In my opinion, you're now asking for a gaming computer and upgrading this depends on how much money you want to spend. It requires a different set up standards and you might start looking for a new machine. If you're like many of us, you want to go as cheap as possible.

For example, watching our local advertisements, I'm seeing lot of AMD 64 machines and Pentium 4's going for very little money. (I recently helped my boss purchase an HP with a P4 3.0 GHZ, Dual-layer DVD drive, 120 GB HD, with 512 MB of RAM for $550. Although it had onboard graphics, it also had a PCI Express slot in it. If you added a graphics card and kicked up the RAM, then you'd probably have a decent gaming machine for around $700.) I'm sure you could find something cheaper than this as I've seen fairly decent processors going for less money than the computer example I gave.

Still, it's up to you...

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thank you so much! Girf
by jj16802 / February 9, 2006 3:14 AM PST

I think I should save money to buy a new PC, thanks again!!!

JJ

Collapse -
Amen...no point sinking $$ into an old architecture
by VAPCMD / February 9, 2006 8:06 AM PST

Given the ridiculous price of RDRAM you'd be far better off putting that $$ toward a new, up to date machine.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yep, Good Decision!
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 9, 2006 8:48 AM PST

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!