PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Video Card; two Questions ......

by Ol Rod / February 5, 2010 12:59 AM PST

Well, I did search some. And I hesitate because someone will say not upgrade this old rig. Abit AN8 (ultra), socket 939, Athlon 3500+ @ 2.47 Ghz, DDR400 ram, 4 Gig Matching Corsair XMS, nForce4 chipset,
I'm running W7 64 and it runs Areo.
I was thinking to upgrade my 6600le NVidia. I was sorta looking at Radeon HD 4850, or maybe a 56xx or 57xx series.
THE QUESTIONS:
1. Can I over kill on vid card so much as to cause problems??
2. Since everything about this mobo is Nvidia, will this old hardware "like" a new Radeon card as well as it might "like" a new NVidea?

You wonder why spend money on old set ... I dunno, I LIKE my old box, I guess I just want to see how far I can max it out. My retirement income is such that I can find extra $100 once in a while, but if I build new, I would not be content to go low end. And long as this box runs well, I can't justify spending that much.

Anyway, please Advise, Criticize, or Insult. I want to hear it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video Card; two Questions ......
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video Card; two Questions ......
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes. You have to move with care.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2010 1:10 AM PST

Let me mention 2 cards I own and have put on a Watt Meter (similar to the P3 Watt Meter).

Both installed in machines exactly like yours so comparisons are doable and maybe interesting to you.

1. A Nvidia 9500GT with 512MB. The socket 939 box tops out at 120 Watts in total and idles at 70ish Watts.

I tried an ATI card but it pegged the CPU so I went with Nvidia.

2. A Nvidia GeForce GT 220 1024 MB DDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SG7LUQ/ref=oss_product

I chose this because of the Watts but also because the next model up had complaints of fan noise.

The GT 220 on a HP d4999t w/4GB RAM, etc tops out at 140 Watts and is very nice.

I'd consider item 2.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks, Bob
by Ol Rod / February 5, 2010 1:16 AM PST
Collapse -
Done it!
by Ol Rod / February 13, 2010 11:45 AM PST

Bob, if you are still tracking, I bought that one. EVga, 1 Gig, DDR3. Got it in without a hitch, ran the provided CD, then went to their website and got latest driver. The monitor picture is maybe just a little sharper, and some things happen faster when I click. Thanks, again.

Collapse -
Yes and thanks.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2010 11:46 PM PST
In reply to: Done it!

It sounds like the upgrade was a success. It looks like my kid may get one of these. A HP d5000t quad core was found cheap so we moved his old Nvidia 6600 card over and he is settling in. No hurry but we'll see about getting another card like this for him later.

Thanks for the report. Sounds like it worked out well for you.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?