PC Hardware forum

General discussion

video card recommendation..........

by mnaku01 / June 24, 2006 1:51 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: video card recommendation..........
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: video card recommendation..........
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A tricky one to answer...
by GeeBee / June 25, 2006 4:46 AM PDT

...as comparisons for the old PCI range of graphics cards are few and far between now, however...

As a rough guide, the closest AGP versions to those two cards are AGP nV5600 and ATi9200 which are benchmarked and compared on Tom's Hardware :

The nV5600 is about equal with the Ati9600, which scores both much faster in 3D gaming than the much lower end 9250.

However the 9250 in the link you provided does apear have a DVI connector (if you need one), but as far as I could find the nVidia 5500's are the fastest PCI graphics cards remaining on the market.

Good luck,

Collapse -
for what purpose?
by ramarc / June 25, 2006 5:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
my purpose...
by mnaku01 / June 25, 2006 3:06 PM PDT
In reply to: for what purpose?

was to replace the integrated graphics with a dedicated video card. i was looking at the reviews of the 6200 card and I realized I have alot of avi videos that I won't be able to watch, so the FX5500 is looking good right now, though the price makes it hard to choose.

Collapse -
First-Hand Experience
by mcallij / June 25, 2006 1:12 PM PDT

One of my college roommates has a 5500 in his Dell. It can pretty much do whatever he wants it for. He games a lot, stuff like Fable, Star Wars: Empire at War, BF2, the good stuff. Anyways, it could look prettier, but it runs stuff. If you're going to get a PCI graphics card, I'd go with the FX5500.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?