PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Video Card Questions

by amingle / October 7, 2004 11:26 AM PDT

I have a 4x AGP-compatible mobo. I am looking to get a 128 MB vid card, and I am thinking that it would probably make sense to get an 8x AGP card. I would assume they are backwards compatible to a 4x mobo without any major issues? I would rather not update the mobo at this time if I can help it, but I also don't want to limit myself for the future by getting a 4x AGP card. I was looking at probably the Radeon 9600 or 9800, although the 9200 is a possibility too. I don't know much about Nvidias, but I would be open to looking at them too. The biggest thing is that it needs to be DX 9.0 compatible.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video Card Questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video Card Questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Video Card Questions
by intrepid909 / October 7, 2004 6:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Video Card Questions

Every card I know of (and i'm a technician) that is 8x is 4x compatible. If you're looking at radeons don't do the 9600. Try to find the 9700 pro. It's virtually the same card as the 9800. The main difference was marketing propaganda. You'll save bucks and have 99% the same card. If you're looking to the future in terms of board upgrades you may want to do some research on pci express. It's going replace agp and standard pci buses. The boards are already starting to come onto the market. PCI express is generally alot quicker.

Hope this helps

Collapse -
by HeLLRA][$eR / October 7, 2004 9:10 PM PDT

intrepid....the only thing u were right about was the backward compatible thing...8x cards ARE 4x compatible.
Now ,
firstly , the 9600 ROCKS (PRO & XT). that is the best price-to-performance ratio card.if u r a serious gamer but very budget conscious - thats the card u wanna buy. believe me , i have a radeon 9600 XT with 128 DDR and its marvelous. i've played DOOM3 on ULTRA level without any trouble at all !

Secondly ,
The 9700 PRO is totally different than the 9800 PRO
check it out on any hardware site and you'll know.
the 9800 has higher clock speeds and more bandwidth than the 9700 ( 22 GB/s !)
the 9800 PRO is the best card for the serious gamer with a hefty budget....if u got da money , BUY IT.
the 9700 PRO has a bandwidth of 18.5 GB/s (gud , but not as gud as 9800)
well , buying a new card is a big thing so think about it , surf the net , read reviews and the choose the one u feel is best...
also , about the mobo , DONT THINK BOUT BUYIN A SUBSTANDARD CARD THEN CHANGIN IT LATER ! buy a gud one , save up and then buy a gud mobo ( the intel 865 GBF is very gud or if u have da money , u cud consider the new 915 + range models)
also , ATI is better than NVIDIA b'cause ATI gives better pic quality + is awesome when detail level goes higher. NVIDIA - only framerate (on low quality). when detail level is higher - IT SUCKS.

Collapse -
by mzpc / October 7, 2004 11:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Video Card Questions

Hello, you are correct. Most modern video cards are AGP4/8x compliant. I'm a big fan of Nvidia's as they have had a better track record in driver support and overall visual quality (imo). Your best two bets for video cards of the DX9 genre are the Nvidia Geforce FX 5700 Ultra and/or the Geforce FX 5900 series cards. The 5700 series cards are great for those machines with little 250 watt power supplys (ie Dell) and the 5900 series cards are the best bang for buck options which will play most games without costing $400-$600. Check your power supply wattage as well and video card clearance (around the AGP slot) as these cards are pretty lengthy and have bigger cooling devices. Good Luck!
MZPC

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?