Linux forum

General discussion

Video card question

by jbndhs / March 20, 2006 10:15 AM PST

I am trying to find a basic video card nothing fancy to use in a linux machine. It will need to be in a pci slot. So is there one that works better than another?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video card question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video card question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There isn't a lot of pci card to choose from, but...
by Art / March 20, 2006 5:54 PM PST
In reply to: Video card question
Collapse -
by Ixthusdan / March 20, 2006 9:03 PM PST

I recommend any nvidia chip card. While ATI has finally begun to have better support for linux, nvidia has always had great driver support. If the distro of your choice does not come with the proprietary nvidia drivers, you can easily get them from their site and install. Nvidia all the way.

Collapse -
by jbndhs / March 20, 2006 10:37 PM PST
In reply to: Nvidia

Thanks I will give Nvidia a try.

Collapse -
Not so fast.
by chuckieu / March 21, 2006 2:23 AM PST
In reply to: Nvidia

The other side of the answer is that (having used both on
many Distros) either ATI or nVidia will work equally well
for your uses. I am using an ATI 9250 card by Gigabyte right now, this is a very good choice. Never had to search for drivers for either ATI or nVidia. The very latest cards (especially SLI) aren't up to speed with either XP or Linux. There are problems with both that keep cropping up, but, honestly, I see more at different forums with nVidia. Pick a card based on money and needs, not a brand. chuck

Collapse -
If opengl is not important
by Ixthusdan / March 24, 2006 1:54 PM PST
In reply to: Not so fast.

Then many cards will work just fine with native drivers. That is probably what you are looking for. But, if you are interested in quality video with 3-d, nvidia with proprietary drivers is your deal. ATI is catching up, but they assumed that linux was not important and are behind in developing drivers. That is why more linux users already own nvidia products and why you will see more discussion about them. It is more an indication od ATI's poor business moves than nvidia's graphics performance.

Collapse -
Source of your information?
by chuckieu / March 25, 2006 2:33 AM PST

While it is quite obvious you are an nVidia fanatic, you are going overboard. ATI doesn't support OpenGL or 3-D?
The poster needed an unbiased opinion with which to make an informed decision. Recheck your sources. I stated that I use both brands and don't have an axe to grind, so I can honestly say either is fine. Both support ALL current standards, and which is leading the race changes from month to month. chuck

Collapse -
Read my post...
by Ixthusdan / March 25, 2006 5:32 AM PST

I said that ATI was behind in the game, not out of it. Early-on they did not think linux was worth developing for, and consequently nvidia moved ahead of ATI among linux users. It's just business. ATI has come around recently to realize that linux is a viable market for them.

I really thought this was rather common knowledge, and has nothing to do with sharpening woodsman's tools! lol

Collapse -
Read my post.
by chuckieu / March 26, 2006 3:39 AM PST
In reply to: Read my post...

I have used about 10 Unix/Linux distros and never had an
issue with either brand of chip. I do graphics and photos. Now, if you're GAMING, you aren't using Linux to start with. Or Mac. Don't post back, this is like Intel vs. AMD, or Ford vs. GM. I hate GM, and no matter whatever valid arguments I make, it's only my opinion. chuck

Collapse -
Who's grinding...
by Ixthusdan / March 26, 2006 11:56 AM PST
In reply to: Read my post.

an axe?? lol
You are entitled to your opinion, as am I. As far as your experience, I don't see what it has to do with the discussion. But, I am glad that you have at least a start in playing with various linux distros. It's a good way to learn, IMHO.

Collapse -
As a long time ATI user I would suggest...
by emoryu21 / March 28, 2006 11:24 AM PST

Get an NVIDIA card. Drivers are soooooooooooooooo much better than anything else out there. ATI is hell to install and then doesn't perform all that well.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?