Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Video Card not staying installed.

by lshah81 / August 15, 2004 7:47 AM PDT

I'm running Windows XP Home SP1. I have an NVidia GEforce4 MX420 video card. It was preinstalled by Dell. But now, under display adapters in the Device manager all I get is "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)". I have tried to reinstall the drivers using the Nvidia drivers found at their website but still no go. I get a "Access is Denied" message with the Hardware update wizard when I try to reinstall the drivers. Does anyone know what I can do?
Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video Card not staying installed.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video Card not staying installed.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Video Card not staying installed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2004 9:12 AM PDT

That's a truly odd install method. When I use Nvidia's installer, it just works. Try the easy way?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Video Card not staying installed.
by lshah81 / August 15, 2004 10:03 AM PDT

OK, so I was a little bad with my description of how I was trying to reinstall it. I tried the regular install method with the exe from Nvidia's site. And it didn't work. But for some reason, after trying it for the 4th time it decided to work. Anyway, Bob, thank's for your help.

Collapse -
Try windows update
by AussiePete / August 16, 2004 7:09 AM PDT

Have you tried this:-
NVidia produced a winXP certified driver about November last year (its the same version as 52.16 they have on their web site) looks the same as the lastest version - you should be able to get it via winupdate - win update will auotomatically update the driver for you so it will be interesting to see if it can without any problems. If it does install OK then "go for gold" and try installing the lasest version as you may have broken the bad cycle.

Collapse -
Re: Try windows update
by lshah81 / August 16, 2004 8:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Try windows update

I've tried that previously and and I just tried it again. Although my driver's working correctly now, the windows update driver does not work for some reason. It just says that it's unable to install.

Collapse -
admin privilage?
by AussiePete / August 16, 2004 11:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Try windows update

Have you tried logging on as the adminsitrator because it sounds as though you haven't got administrative privilage to change systems setting (for your graphics card at least)
Also are you able to view the driver details in "systems information" and/or "Help centre" see if anything shows up with "problem devices" of "conflict sharing"
Also try change the IRQ of the grahics card in your bios setup if you can - if you have recently added new hardware lately there maybe conflict.
Dell used to supply diagnostic software with their machines - have you ran these programs yet.
And one other thing, when i upgraded from an older version of the NVidia software I found that there were still some older items in in the "run" section of the registry - so run msconfig.exe and carefully check what is being loaded. What I should have done was uninstall the previous version in add/remove programs first!!!! Maybe you can try doing this first!!!???.
Peter

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?