Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Video Card Installation

by Ineedhelpbadly / March 19, 2007 12:37 PM PDT

So I'm trying to install a GeForce 5200 FX onto my Windows XP...I get it completely installed, however when i disable the on board graphic card using device manager and restart, the computer comes back in 4 colors with 620*800 or w/e the huge resolution is. I go into sidplay settings, and it shows the Geforce as being the only active card however when i set the resolution and colors up and restart the computer again, nothing changes. its as though the cards not even there. Do I need to plug something in somewhere? I moved the moniter plug onto the vga outlet on the geforce card but that only gets me a a monitor that takes a second to come on, a yellow box then a blank black screen. and from the black screen, I can do nothing. Am I doing something wrong? I have the drivers and everything updated for the Geforce as far as i know. Any help???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video Card Installation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video Card Installation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
questions
by linkit / March 20, 2007 12:14 AM PDT

What is your computer model?
Is the FX5200 a PCI or AGP card?

Collapse -
by Ineedhelpbadly / March 20, 2007 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: questions

It's a PCI

Collapse -
by Ineedhelpbadly / March 21, 2007 8:11 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

Oh and Model is Dimension 2350 if thats what you wanted to know

Collapse -
^_^
by nameless84 / March 21, 2007 7:43 PM PDT
In reply to: ..

You should uninstall older drivers and software before installing new hardware

Collapse -
Yeah...
by Ineedhelpbadly / March 22, 2007 7:13 AM PDT
In reply to: ^_^

Tried that, screen comes up in huge font and no colors still...Am i supposed to plug the blue cable in the back of the computer into the card? Because when I do i get black screens....

Collapse -
Try this link
by linkit / March 22, 2007 9:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Yeah...
Collapse -
Well then
by Ineedhelpbadly / March 22, 2007 11:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this link

Thats the issue I forgot to mention...Video Adapter isnt in my BIOS...At all I look in periphials....Do I need todo something to make it come up? or is it maybe called something else?

Collapse -
PCI or AUTO
by linkit / March 22, 2007 11:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Well then

You probably won't see the name of the adapter (at least not initially), but you do have to tell BIOS that the video adapter is in a PCI slot.

Excerpt from the link I provided in Post#7:

DIMENSION 2300, 2350
* Click Start- Control Panel- System
* Click the Hardware tab and the Device Manager button
* Open Display Adapters
* Double-click the Intel listing
* Under Device Usage, change this to "Do not use this device (disable)"
* Click OK- Apply and/or OK
* Close all boxes
* Click Start- Shutdown- Restart- OK or Click Start- Turn Off Computer- Restart
* Restart the system
* Press F2 at the blue Dell logo screen
* Right arrow to Advanced
* Down arrow to Peripheral Configuration- Video Adapter and change this to PCI or AUTO
* Press F10 to Save and Exit keeping your changes
* Power the system off
* Open the case cover and add the PCI video card
* Connect the monitor to the added PCI video card
* Power on your computer
* Let the computer boot up and load the drivers off of the CD provided with the card

[end excerpt].

Collapse -
yeah But
by Ineedhelpbadly / March 23, 2007 7:14 AM PDT
In reply to: PCI or AUTO

Like I said...Video Adapter is not a option in the BIOS...unless disabling the on-board makes it appear....It's not there...at all..Thnx for the help

Collapse -
...Again
by Ineedhelpbadly / March 24, 2007 6:35 AM PDT
In reply to: yeah But

So I tried the steps you said, but I'm still in the same spot. I plug the blue monitor plug into the card, and depending on which spot i plug the monitor into on the card i get 1 of 2 things. If I plug it into the first spot, the comp starts up and I get a black screen...thats it. If I plug it into the other, I get a black screen with a random white box...nothing else. I have tried looking in BIOS, but as I've been saying...there's nothing there about video adaptors...anywhere. Literally nothing. Am I doing something wrong? This is starting to get really annoying. I just checked in properties/settings, and it has the graphics listed as 800x600 in 32 colors on the nividia card, but it has it listed as being on "default monitor" so I'm staring at not 800x600 and 32 colors, but 4 colors in the huge resolution. Any help here? Starting to cause a headache. Still don't know why BIOS doesn't have anything about video adaptors in Periphial Settings. All there is is network Adaptor, and one for the sounds card and a bunch of parrallel port enable/disable options....Anyone have an idea?

Collapse -
It's a PCI
by fakesnake / March 27, 2007 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

hi, may i ask why you got a pci card when your pc has agp? the reason i ask is as the 5200 so old, using a pci one makes it even slower.have you looked thro all the bios settings, because you must be able to turn off onboard graphics. try this to remove all traces of the old driver
.http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/Driver-Cleaner.shtml
but you will have to turn off onboard graphics for new card to work.

Collapse -
well like im trying to say
by Ineedhelpbadly / April 13, 2007 11:16 AM PDT
In reply to: It's a PCI

To disable it I would have to go into bios and set display adaptor to PCI right....Well I cant do that because theres nothing in BIOS about it...I think my entire problem is coming from the lack of a display adaptor option in BIOS....Little Help

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!