Desktops forum

General discussion

Video card help - DVI not working

I've got an nVidia GeForce FX 5200 video card, and the DVI output isn't working at all. The VGA is alright, and the computer acts like the DVI is connected (recognizes the monitor), but there is no picture on the monitor (goes into standby). Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video card help - DVI not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video card help - DVI not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Did you extend the desktop to include this display?

In reply to: Video card help - DVI not working

Collapse -
Yeah....

In reply to: (NT) Did you extend the desktop to include this display?

The nVidia control panel has both the monitors listed and everythigns setup right, theres just nothing on the DVI's screen.

Collapse -
Given only this information, then it's dead.

In reply to: Yeah....

Start the RMA process unless you have more details to share.

Bob

Collapse -
Well............

In reply to: Given only this information, then it's dead.

I'm running Windows XP professional and the latest drivers from nVidia's site. Like I mentioned, it seems to notice the monitor is there, just won't put any picture up on it. I'm starting to think this is a pretty common problem from looking the card up on Google.

Is there anything else you want to know that you think could help me with the problem?

Collapse -
Try another card or just with DVI connected.

In reply to: Well............

Maybe it will switch to DVI. There are those words in red with each post if you feel like sharing.

Bob

Collapse -
Re

In reply to: Try another card or just with DVI connected.

I tried running with just DVI, it never worked. Then I connected a DVI to VGA adaptor, and finally got some picture. Only problem is it seems to only be able to do dual display in clone mode, which is rather useless.

Here are the specs on the system,
Its a Dell Dimension 4600C....

Pentium 4 2.4 ghz processor
1.25GB DDR SDRAM
nVidia GeForce FX 5200 graphics card
Two hard drives (40gb master, 120gb slave)

Its used for home recording so there are no other cards aside from the graphics card, the soundcard is an external firewire interface.

Collapse -
Update

In reply to: Re

I managed to get the dual screens going correctly, but its BRUTALLY slowing down the computer! I'm starting to think I should just go out and get a new graphics card........

Collapse -
OK, now we know the DVI connection is alive.

I take it that this a a new discovery. If it wasn't then I've wasted a few turns thinking the DVI connection was DOA.

Did you go get the latest drivers from nvidia.com?

How did you install the DVI display's drivers?

Bob

Collapse -
Re

In reply to: OK, now we know the DVI connection is alive.

I just installed the latest drivers ('Forceware') from nVidia, ran the installation file like normal. Everything installed alright, still can't use the DVI connection without converting to VGA though, and the system gets bogged down really badly when the screens are running in dual mode.

Collapse -
Yes, the system will work harder is dual display.

Twice as much work.

If it works with the DVI to VGA adapter, go with what works.

Bob

Collapse -
RE

In reply to: Yes, the system will work harder is dual display.

I got it running smoothly with the two displays, but I still felt a little let down so I went out and got a new video card, hahaha.

I replaced it with an ATI Radeon X700 and its looking and running much smoother now.

Collapse -
That's a much faster card...

In reply to: RE

Glad to hear you stepped it up.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.