Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Video Card Driver

by girlyinthenorth / March 23, 2004 10:37 PM PST

Thank you Kees for your advice/help.
Please explain how I would reinstall Video Card Driver.
Thank you in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video Card Driver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video Card Driver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Video Card Driver
by Kees Bakker / March 23, 2004 11:00 PM PST
In reply to: Video Card Driver

First of all (a tip, because you're new here) don't start a new discussion, but just click 'reply' on the message you want to reply.

Then back to business.

If you have a brand name computer, it's likely they supplied you with something called a Restore CD. If you run that, it restores the PC to the state it was in when it left the factory, and you just bought it. Including the video driver. Apparently, you didn't use such, but if you have it, better do so.

Also, if you have a brand name computer (like HP, Compaq, IBM, Dell) and you know the exact model number (like Presario 5530 or so) you can go to the website of the maker (like and download the necessary driver. Each model may have it's own videocard, and these sites provide search functions to find them.

If you have something else (unknown brand or custom build), you should have a diskette or a cd that came with the computer, of with the video card (I don't know the history, of course) that contains the driver. Or at least you should have documentation which tells you what videocard you have. Have a good look in your things.

If none of the above, look what Device Manager says about the video card. It might have a name or a number other than 'Standard VGA'. If not, download belarc advisor or aida32 programs, run them and see what they can tell you about the card.

If still nothing, open the case, look if you do have a separate videocard or if it's integrated on the motherboard. See if you can find any identifying marks on it.

When arrived here, post again for the sequel. Finding the right driver is essential, and knowing what to look for is necessary for that, unless you have it on CD.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Video Card Driver
by girlyinthenorth / March 23, 2004 11:36 PM PST
In reply to: Re:Video Card Driver

Hi Kees

First-thank you for your detailed help and tips.
I went into device manager, found my VGA. I then clicked Properties for this. In General it says device is working properly. I clicked Driver, which has driver details and update driver? Could I do anything here perhaps?
It is a custom built computer.
I wish I had the prior knowledge of your TIP...deleting into the recycle box....hhmmmm that would have saved me this annoyance.
This resolution is driving me mad....

Thank you for any help given.

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / March 23, 2004 11:48 PM PST

Click Start, Run, type the following line exactly as shown, and then either press Enter, or click OK.

"c:\program files\directx\setup\dxdiag" -- (being sure the correct path and quotation marks are used in this example -- which you could copy and paste there)

Note: You may have only the file DXInfo.exe instead, which can be used. Use the Find function and search on that name. When it is displayed, double-click it and look through the information for the correct identification of the video adapter.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Video Card Driver
by girlyinthenorth / March 24, 2004 12:14 AM PST

Thank you Cursorcowboy.
I used your instructions, and found DirectXDiagnostic tool, where in "display" it is showing 640x480(4bit).
When I am going page by page through the Diagnostic took it is telling me no problems.
Please advise to what now, please?
Again-thank you for all of your help.

Collapse -
What it shows/says. . .
by Cursorcowboy / March 24, 2004 8:47 PM PST

but the purpose was, and I thought it would be obvious, is that on the Display tab the information should perhaps identify the video device used.

Collapse -
Re:What it shows/says. . .
by girlyinthenorth / March 24, 2004 10:33 PM PST

I d/l aida32...and I realized..right away--yes I did delete sis 86c306. I remember it. I thought it was something to do with a scanner I have that is not working...
Now I must d/l this driver.
Where can I get this.
Thank you for your help.

Collapse -
Re:Re:What it shows/says. . .
by rd400d77 / March 24, 2004 11:26 PM PST

Virtually every piece of hardware installed in a PC has a FCC ID. If all else fails you can remove the video card, find the FCC code and then search for the manufacturer. Once you have that then all you have to do is go the manufacturer's website and download the latest driver version.

There are drivers here and a FCC search box:

As far as not having enough hard drive space for video files, give it up... no one does. Happy

Collapse -
Re:Re:What it shows/says. . .
by Cursorcowboy / March 25, 2004 12:08 AM PST

Hopefully, the file "" is the correct file concering an SIS(620) 86c306 card that is needed for the video which you can download and install.

Collapse -
THIS WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by girlyinthenorth / March 25, 2004 12:52 AM PST

Cursorcowboy....IT worked!
I can't THANK you enough!
I am ecstatic....this really worked.
YOU are IT.
smile x

Katy who is forever in your debt.

Collapse -
by Kees Bakker / March 24, 2004 3:17 AM PST

Your above replies clearly show that Windows didn't identify the videocard, so thinks it's something generic. And you told it's custom built.

So it's time for the other points I mentioned:
- search for a CD or documentation
- downloading (free) belarc or aida32 (I don't expect much of them, to be frank)
- opening the case and searching for physical clues

If all of this doesn't help, I can only advise one thing, which is:
Go to a nearby computer shop. Take your Windows 98 CD with you (and see that you get it back!). Ask them to fix it (a) by trying to locate and install the driver themselves (they might have more success than you), or (b) installing and configuring a basic new (or maybe secondhand) videocard. Don't let them talk you into a noisy, power-hungry, $250 ATI Radeon 9800 Pro; a simple $50 Geforce MX 440 probably is better than you had.
There are a lot of people in this forum who would easily do this themselves, but for a novice I would recommend the above procedure. I hope you don't mind me saying so.

If I find time tonight I'll write something about disk cleanup.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Disc Cleanup (part 1)
by Kees Bakker / March 24, 2004 6:23 AM PST

A good piece of advice given by moderator Grif Thomas of the Computer Help forum (use part 2 and 3) in

I think that the disc cleanup wizard (see, concentrate on the Windows 98 part) takes care of most of this, but I didn't study it in detail.

Other hints and possibilities:
- generally, you can delete (into the recycle bin!) all files starting with a tilde (~), and all files with .tmp extension (search for *.tmp on the whole c:-drive)
- compress all Outlook Express folders (isn't done automatically)
- never delete a folder in program files, but use the Uninstall provided or Config Panel/Add Remove
- having your files well organised in folders helps to manage them

To be continued in part 2.

Collapse -
Disc cleanup (part 2)
by Kees Bakker / March 24, 2004 6:24 AM PST

- I found a freeware program "i.disk" useful. It gives the size of all folders including subfolders, and shows you where the space is used. Warning: don't use it to delete files, do that from your normal Explorer screen, where you see the context (just less chance of errors, there are stories from people deleting the root file, i.e. everything on the c:, which is very fatal)
- zip files you're not going to use for a long time, or burn them to a cd and delete the original
- the .ani-files in c:\windows\help are safe to delete (around 5 Mb total); with the exception of the folders mentioned by Grif keep you hands of all other files in the Windows folder!
- unistall programs you're sure you'll never use again
- delete music (mp3, wav) no longer interesting or burn it to CD (about 200 mp3's fit on a cd)
- after installing a downloaded program, you don't need the setup or the zip-file (whatever you downloaded), so that can be deleted
- clean cookies regularly (if they don't store useful information for regularly visited sites)

You might find other useful information by searching for "disc cleanup" windows 98 in google.

Hope this helps,

Collapse -
by girlyinthenorth / March 24, 2004 11:34 AM PST

Thank you for all your time and help with this comp problem of mine.
I am very upset with myself for deleting something I needed! grrrrrrr....
I cannot believe I am stuck with this resolution..!
I deleted my collection of mp3's, but thought I would delete some old programs I THOUGHT I did not need...One program that is troubling...for some reason I have two morpheous installs?? When I go to remove them --they will NOT remove....any ideas?

I guess it is time for pro. my vids are not playing...and I need to get this VGA looked after.

I thank you Kees, and Cursorcowboy for taking the time to help me.
I envy your talents...

Katy x

Collapse -
Experience, more than talent.
by Kees Bakker / March 25, 2004 3:16 AM PST

And happy to read that your problem is solved.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?