PC Hardware forum

General discussion

video card compatibility

i have a Sony Vaio desktop PCV-RS430G. it has XP. i want to put the X800 pro or 6800GT in so i can play battlefield 2 but i dont know if it is compatible in my comp. CAN U HELP ME?! thanks.

Full specs
Processor
Clock speed 2.8 GHz

Processor type Pentium 4

Installed processor qty 1

Max supported processor qty 1

Processor manufacturer Intel
RAM
RAM installed 512 MB

Max supported RAM 2 GB

Memory specification compliance PC2700

Memory speed 333 MHz

RAM form factor DIMM 184-pin

RAM technology DDR SDRAM
Video Output
Graphics processor ATI RADEON 9200

Digital video standard Digital Visual Interface (DVI)

Max resolution (external) 2048 x 1536

Video output form factor Plug-in card

Video output interface type AGP 8x

Video output type Graphics adapter
Display (Projector)
Display type None.
Service & Support
Service & Support type 1 year warranty
Optical Storage
CD / DVD type DVD

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: video card compatibility
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: video card compatibility
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
wow that's long and mostly worthless

In reply to: video card compatibility

note where it says AGP 8x, yes, you can use any AGP 8x card in that board

I would suggest the GeForce 6800
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122193

easily enough power
I would avoid the Radeon X series, as all of them lack SM3.0 and FP32, which means they won't have as good of a support for future games

Collapse -
u definitely have to upgrade the powersupply first

but yes u can upgrade the gfx card...i would wait until ati comes out with the x1600 cards then get one of those instead of the x800pro or 6800gt. ati's current xseries does not support sm 3.0 or fp32 so if u dont want to wait then get the 6800gt instead.

Collapse -
power supply

In reply to: u definitely have to upgrade the powersupply first

i have to upgrade my power supply? why?

Collapse -
you don't have to, but you should look at what you do have

In reply to: power supply

I feel nerdyboy is just trying to blanket you with generic help

A) ATi's newest card is a joke, it isn't going to outperform the G70 series cards on launch

and B) if his PSU can handle a 6600GT or 6800 he should know that

to the original poster, check as to what kind of PSU your computer is equipped with (just take the side off the case that would give you access to the motherboard, and look at the PSU (the metal box with all the wires coming out of it that are plugged into everything))

reading the sticker on it, what are the A ratings for the 12v rail(s)?
what is the maximum W output overall?
what brand name is on the sticker

Collapse -
i did not say that ati's cards will outperform the g70

In reply to: you don't have to, but you should look at what you do have

and also he says he owns a "Sony Vaio desktop PCV-RS430G" so unless sony suddenly started putting powerful psus that i did not know about, he most likely has a generic 300watt psu.

Collapse -
similiar to one that i have...

i have pretty much the same one, except i added another 512mb of ram to it. i would go with the 6800 because it's the best you can buy right now. the power supply it purely sony, it has a single 120mm fan and i'm not even sure if it's modular, although it probably is, but last time i looked in the back, the screw holes and such were different than that of standard atx psus. most likely it's standard atx though. Wink

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.