PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Video Card caused major issues?

by Marc985 / June 24, 2006 10:06 AM PDT

Heres what happened.

I left my computer on while I went out to the doctor. Come back and I notice the computer has frozen. I look into the case (which I can open, but dust free for cooling) and notice that the fan on the video had just fallen off. Causing the video card to obviously overheat. (it was left on for over an hour, and i have no idea when in that time period the fan fell off) So I take the card out.

About a day later I wanted to see if the rest of the computer was ok, so i pluged the card in and started it up. First try the fans came on but no boot up at all...After a couple more trys the BIOS came up with a message saying BIOS ROM CHECKSUM Error.

So I went into BIOS to have a look and tried to set everything back to default, which was triky because the video card wasn't displaying everything.

restart and now ever since nothing.....fans just come out, and i hear the cd drives start up but no boot up at all....any suggestions or possible explainations?

Microsoft windows XP home SP2
AMD Athlon 2600+
1.25gig PC2100 ram
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Asus A7N8X mobo

Thanks,
Marc

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video Card caused major issues?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video Card caused major issues?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The most obvious....
by Michael Geist / June 24, 2006 10:13 AM PDT

guess would be a bad video card. Replace with another to test.

Collapse -
tried it
by Marc985 / June 24, 2006 11:15 AM PDT
In reply to: The most obvious....

tried it...same problem.....nothing on startup

Collapse -
I usually associate checksum error with battery problem.
by Art / June 24, 2006 5:47 PM PDT

Although your computer seem fairly new, I would suggest replacing it anyway..or at least check it. Battery is fairly inexpensive (less than $5?).

Collapse -
battery?
by Marc985 / June 25, 2006 12:33 AM PDT

What do you mean by battery? Computers have batterys?

Collapse -
Sure
by chuckieu / June 25, 2006 3:28 AM PDT
In reply to: battery?

It is what keeps the BIOS data when computer is off or unplugged. They may vary, but every motherboard I've ever had used a 2032 ($2 at Fry's). It will be a flat 1 inch
battery. Be sure to ground yourself before putting your
hand in a (shutdown) computer. You'll have to reset your BIOS settings after doing this. Usually only time unless
you don't use the default setting, but record settingson paper before shutdown. chuck

Collapse -
an update
by Marc985 / June 26, 2006 4:09 AM PDT

I have a tried a new AGP card..nothing no bootup..tried the battery..didnt work....next thing something my cousin suggested....get a PCI card and try to see it it'll boot up...he claims the AGP bus may be gone so a PCI card may work. He says if the motherbaord is powering up, and all drives powering up then the board is most likely fine...its jsut the AGP slot that got trashed..oh well ill see wat happens...just have to get a hold of a pci card.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!