PC Hardware forum

Question

Video card and recording?

by AizenShisuke / December 28, 2013 8:47 AM PST

I've been looking at a DDR5 video card (friend says it's made for gaming). My 2006 computer is in desperate need of a video upgrade. I'm sure the card is compatible. If not, please tell me.

But onto the question. Today I started to record my gameplay of Garry's Mod, on popular demand from my fellow players. But the bit rate, no matter how high or low I set it, continues to drop frames. Will this DDR5 video card fix this? If the video card doesn't attribute to the cause, please tell me how to fix.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video card and recording?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video card and recording?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Given the details so far, my bet is no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2013 8:52 AM PST

I know you want your privacy but without knowing if the machine has the chops, I'm going with no.

You'll check out other folk that do this and see what they have. But why not a Hauppauge game recorder box?
Bob

Collapse -
PS. Checking your other posts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2013 8:54 AM PST
Collapse -
Forgive the wait
by AizenShisuke / December 28, 2013 11:55 AM PST

I just found the details on the cards in particular that caught my eyes:

Item #1: Diamond ATI Radeon HD 6450 Graphics card - 1 GB - GDDR3 SDRAM
Item #2: DIAMOND AMD Radeon™ HD 6670 PCIE 1GB GDDR5 Video Graphics Card

Number 2 was the first that caught my eye. But Number 1 seems just as well. But I'm dumb when it comes to hardware. Would you explain the pros and cons of each one?

Collapse -
You won't find me advising for the 6450.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2013 1:55 PM PST
In reply to: Forgive the wait

It's nice and all but your demands mean we stick to the list and we don't pick the bottom two on the list. We go higher.
Bob

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Are you the same poster that recently dusted and...
by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 28, 2013 8:52 AM PST

... redid thermal paste?

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Yes!
by AizenShisuke / December 28, 2013 10:08 AM PST

Thanks for that information before. Gave a real boost to the PC. And to all asking for the other specs, my computer now has 16 GB DDR2 ram.
CPU: AMD Phenom 8450 Triple-Core 2.10 GHz
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 3200

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.