Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

video capture

by sadie06 / December 31, 2004 12:28 AM PST

I have a Dell 8400 pc. It has a tv out, a dvd+rw, a legacy video capture device, 128MB PCI Express x16 ATI Radeon x300 SE.

My question is: can I connect a vcr to my pc to transfer video to dvd. And how??

my s-video cable connects to my pc but not to my vcr or video camera, is there a cable converter?

I have tried asking just about everywhere.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: video capture
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: video capture
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have this
by Oil_Tan / December 31, 2004 12:59 AM PST
In reply to: video capture
Collapse -
Oil_Tan
by sadie06 / December 31, 2004 1:11 AM PST
In reply to: I have this

Thanks, I will try Radio Shack...do you know if that will allow me to get the video to my pc?? Thanks again

Collapse -
answer this...
by Oil_Tan / December 31, 2004 9:31 AM PST
In reply to: Oil_Tan

1. What does the super vid cord plug into exactly on your computer? It is labeled IN? Some card or?
2. Type of software used to capture?
3. Things to help vid capture follow.
No spyware at all.
Updated mother board drivers.
UDMA on.
Other programs that run in background turned off.
Clean and defragged harddrive.
Harddrive with enough capture space.

Collapse -
software
by sadie06 / December 31, 2004 10:24 PM PST
In reply to: answer this...

I have a sound card that has a "line in connector and I have (sofware) sonic dvd, and Windows movie maker. Pent 4, 512mb,128 mb pci, dvi/vga/tv-out radeon x300, dvd+rw,cyberlink software decoding. in my device manager a legacy video capture device is listed. Thank you for your help and any advice you have to offer.

Collapse -
now we have to...
by Oil_Tan / January 1, 2005 8:33 PM PST
In reply to: software

Not familiar with sonic dvd. You are using Sonic to transfer video to pc? And thats what is not detecting your cam/input port?
Next, we need to identify your legacy video capture device.
Last, would help to know pc brand and model. If custom built list mobo.

Collapse -
VCR to PC to DVD
by timwerx / December 31, 2004 10:08 AM PST
Collapse -
Canopus ADVC100
by svea / December 31, 2004 1:11 PM PST
In reply to: VCR to PC to DVD

Does ADVC100 require an additional capture card?
I am running WinXP on PIV 512Ram.
Using Audigy2 for audio but am unhappy with my current old ADS Instant DVD USB 1.1. The resulting MPEG2 file, burnt to DVD with Roxio has trouble with Set top player: no audio. Plays OK on PC.
Svea Dietrich

Collapse -
No....
by timwerx / December 31, 2004 5:46 PM PST
In reply to: Canopus ADVC100

No, it needs no capture card, just an IEEE 1394 (firewire) port. Your video software will see it as a digital device.

Collapse -
firewire?
by sadie06 / December 31, 2004 10:37 PM PST
In reply to: No....

so if i install a firewire port i will be able to connect my video 8 camcorder directly to my pc? my camcorder is not digital, does that matter? i have been reading so many conflicting reports. i also have many old vhs format that i want to save on dvd, can a vcr also be connected to the firewire port? thanks for your help. any more advice is much appreciated.

Collapse -
No...
by timwerx / January 1, 2005 9:22 AM PST
In reply to: firewire?

My last reply was for your post before it. You would still need the Canopus or other device to convert from analog to digital, then from there it would go into your firewire port.

Once you have it set up you can just as easily connect your VCR to it and digitize/import/edit video from VHS tapes, and make DVDs if desired.

Collapse -
video capture
by jcrobso / January 3, 2005 12:36 AM PST

You can use one of the cables from the other post. Most newer capture cards have both composite and s-video. Be sure to read timwerx's link. I have added a couple of links, the video card at tirger works well is low cost, it comes withsome software but WMM2 is probaly better.
Pinnacle makes a fullrange of products lots of options there. If your thinking of buying a digitial cameracorded many of them will covnert analog video to digitial and output it on firewire to your pc, so you might want to consider this option. John

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=763441&CatId=1425
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!