PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Video Capture

I recently boought a Plextor video capture device but I continue to have problem using the DVDCreator software. Every time I press the configuration button the program seems to crash.
Although my computer seems to meet all the requirement, I think it falls short on the video card section since I'm using the integrated video instead of an actual video card.
Here are my questions.
Are there any video capturing cards that anyone can recomment? I'm looking to spend <$130.00.
Also, if anybody had any experience with the Plextor video capture and can help me out.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video Capture
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video Capture
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What's the device model number?

In reply to: Video Capture

If you are using your on-board video for capturing, are you talking about a Plextor software program and not actually a Plextor DEVICE? Devices are hardware so I'm a little confused by your description.

What is the on-board video maker and model number?

For capturing video, I have used a couple of different devices...Dazzle (comes with Pinnacle Studio 8 or 9 now) and hooks up on the desktop as a go-between from the vcr or tv or whatever and connects to either an ATI or Nvidia graphics card with SVideo connector ability. I now use the Pinnacle AV/DV separate capture card inside the computer (comes with Pinnacle Studio 9). Both were about $100 or a little more each.

I also used the ATI video capture card with its own software at one point. (This was an over $400 card) and the quality was wonderful, but I didn't care for the fact that the files created were so huge and used a separate program called Power VCR/DVD Deluxe II because it automatically split the file on its own to sizes that would fit on a vcd format cd rather than dvd for some of my old vcr movies. The main thing I loved about the ATI software was that I could pause the copying and restart it at will. This eliminated the time I had to take for editing later on if I needed to, whereas the other programs you had to stop the capturing, restart it, and it would create smaller new files from where you restarted. ATI just continued the same file where you left off when you paused it.....and you could continue to view the movie although the capturing was paused. The other programs would halt the on-screen viewing when you stopped it to skip parts.

I am very pleased with the Pinnacle AV/DV capture device.....and I don't use any of the Studio software as I found it to be very cumbersome and the file formats it saved in were in their own format style rather than mpg or avi so burning the end result had to be done through its own program rather than my preferred burning program.

TONI

Collapse -
Device number

In reply to: What's the device model number?

Device is a convertX PX-AV100U. It's a USB device that connects via S-Video or composite to the other devices. Everything installed correctly, including the video capture software, however it does crash every time I try to configure the software for capturing.
I will try Pinnacle, I saw it but opted for the Plextor instead. I wanted some advice because I do not want to spend extra money on a TV Tuner when all I need is a card to capture videos.
You said that the software you use to capture is different that Pinnacle studio. What are you using instead?
Anyways, thanks for your info.

Collapse -
Perhaps you need

In reply to: Device number

to go to Plextor's site and see if there is a firmware update for your device that would then prevent the software from crashing as you try to configure it for capture.

Or you could try uninstalling the software....unplug the USB port, install the software again after a reboot, reboot the computer again once that's done, and then plug in the usb device as you get to the desktop so windows can finish installing the drivers. I don't know of many USB devices that can have the device plugged in while you are installing software and drivers for it.

That's where I would begin if I were you.

Plextor makes great products.....I don't use anything but their burners to be honest.

As for capture programs, I use Power VCR/DVD II Deluxe for most everything because I can control the file size being created (I have XP, but still use FAT32 instead of NTFS which means my file sizes are limited to under 4GB for the harddrive space). If file size isn't an issue with your system, the software program that comes with the Plextor is probably good. If the file generated is larger than what a dvd or cdrw can handle when you go to burn it, you can always use a file splitter for .avi or .mpg files to cut it in half or more if needed.

For capturing from a digital camera...still pictures...the program I use is ArcSoft - PhotoStudio and PhotoBase. For movies, I still use Power VCR/DVD II Deluxe.

Those are just my own preferences.....many members use entirely different programs with excellent results. I just wanted something I could hit the ground running with that did what I needed and got so used to using these that I pretty much abandoned looking for others.

TONI

Collapse -
j. a. s. just another splitter

In reply to: Perhaps you need

can someone please tell me where i can get the file splitter known as j.a.s. (just another splitter). it's freeware, but i can't find the website from where it can be downloaded.

many thanks,
doug stein.

Collapse -
Hee ya go but

In reply to: j. a. s. just another splitter

Collapse -
Video Capture

You didn't say if you were capturing from a analog source like a VHS deck or a digitial camera? If it's a digitial camera the best way is firewire. John
http://www.timwerx.net/odds/pcfile.htm

Collapse -
Take a look at the requirement here.

Collapse -
Thank you all

In reply to: Take a look at the requirement here.

Thanks to all for the help!!!!
I was able to fix the problem. Although it wasn't a firmware issue, the additional software needed a patch and that resolved the issue.
I had great result with plextor drives and their tech support answered back in less than a few hours.

Collapse -
I love Plextor

In reply to: Thank you all

Their site is the first one I go to with any products I buy from them....they are great with their tech support and their site gives great and very fast patches or updates for the products they carry. It's a pleasure doing business with them compared to many other companies out there. They definitely stand behind their stuff.

Thanks for letting us know......

TONI

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!