Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Video and the internet

by grimgraphix / January 4, 2007 1:14 AM PST

I have noticed, over the past few months, that news sites such as CNN are offering more and more video news coverage that does not include a written transcript. YouTube and user made video dominated the attention of many by the end of 2006. Main stream news is using more and more cell phone videos as their coverage for news events.

The question I have is how is the increasing use of video on the internet impacting people who use the web every day?
Do you like it or not?
Do you choose video over written news items?
Does waiting for a video item to download annoy you?
Do you feel video speeds up or slows down your internet browsing?
Does your current computer and ISP work well with web video?
Do you carry a phone that can shoot video?
Have you posted video on the web yourself?
Do you think video technology is easy or friendly for the average user of the web?

What do y'all think?

grim Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video and the internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video and the internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I would prefer....
by Josh K / January 4, 2007 5:16 AM PST
In reply to: Video and the internet

....if they would offer both the video and transcripted versions of the stories. Sometimes I'm interested to see the video and sometimes I am not (especially if I'm "working" or if I don't want my daughter to come running to the computer because she hears something). In addition, the video clips are usually preceded by an ad that you cannot skip.

Sometimes I pull up an article and read it a little at a time.

I have no issues with my connection either at home or at work.

I don't even know if my phone can shoot video. I know it can shoot (very low res) still photos.

The only videos I've posted on the web are short home video clips on our family site.

Collapse -
I am pleased to see...
by Angeline Booher / January 4, 2007 6:26 AM PST

.... that CNN still has a link to transcripts. Sometimes while I'm listening to their news, I like to go to a transcript . So far they offer print or video of the top stories. I haven't tried any of their videos for a long time.

But my local news does not offer transcripts, and on the first day of some news stories, they are only available on video. Later some of them go to print or video.

I can see the advantage of videos. Maybe seeing and hearing is believing more than reading print. I'm not savvy enough to know if I can save a video, but I know I can c&p print.

I don't have any cell phone.

The videos run fine on my PC.

I suspect that the choice of print or video is an individual choice. Rather nice that both are available.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
re: V & I
by WOODS-HICK / January 4, 2007 7:05 AM PST

I have dial-up. dsl (too far), fios on it's way (will get it), cable/broadband (hate cablevision). so I very seldom download video, not enough hours in the day. it is another medium so that I like, but there should be transcripts available for all interviews, etc. biased snippets are too common, most transcripts too hard to find.

I have no cell phone of any type, waiting for telco implant.

video will only become more user friendly. you think there is information sensory overload now, wait.

I think it should be encouraged and I am sure I will hop on eventually. citizen video has revealed crimes by the state and citizens that would have never been brought to world wide attention. we all have the opportunity to become an E R Morrow or an instantaneous documentary or mockumentary videographer or a drudge or a curious george.

captain video and his video rangers.

Collapse -
Hi grim
by Cindi Haynes / January 4, 2007 7:34 AM PST

The question I have is how is the increasing use of video on the internet impacting people who use the web every day? One thing that I find is nice is the availability of "seeing it live" which is really nice instead of relying on another person's interpretation of an event.
Do you like it or not? Sometimes, but usually not.
Do you choose video over written news items? No.
Does waiting for a video item to download annoy you? YES. May be the biggest reason for not using it more often.
Do you feel video speeds up or slows down your internet browsing? Slows, until stuff loads faster, and is easier to find.
Does your current computer and ISP work well with web video? Computer yes, and the ISP would if we paid big bucks for the high tier service...but we're cheap. LOL
Do you carry a phone that can shoot video? Yes, never have used it.
Have you posted video on the web yourself? No way!
Do you think video technology is easy or friendly for the average user of the web? WAY moreso than it used to be, and getting better as time goes on.

Cindi

Collapse -
(NT) Hi Cindi, have the bike out yet, this year? ;-)
by grimgraphix / January 4, 2007 7:39 AM PST
In reply to: Hi grim
Collapse -
It's still out, but I've not been riding. :(
by Cindi Haynes / January 4, 2007 8:09 AM PST

Hi grim,

I've been plagued by gout in both feet (alternating and together) for the last 3 months, so it's prevented me from taking advantage of the GORGEOUS weather we've been having!

The last 3 days I've been stuck in bed, unable to put any weight on my feet at all. Meanwhile, the docs are trying to straighten out my meds, and I'm on prednisone and Percocet.

Hopefully soon, and the weather holds out!

Cindi
ps- by the way, I'm thankful for your "attitude" post, and I agree. Came to the same conclusion myself awhile back. Happy

Collapse -
Darn Cindi, I'm sorry to hear that.
by grimgraphix / January 4, 2007 1:32 PM PST

I hope you get to feelin better soon! My thoughts and prayers are with you.

grim

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks, grim. :-)
by Cindi Haynes / January 5, 2007 2:16 AM PST
Collapse -
Prefer written
by Diana Forum moderator / January 4, 2007 11:05 AM PST

I'm usually listening to something while I'm browsing and I hate to shut that down to listen to the computer.

Diana

Collapse -
Ah... the conflict between...
by grimgraphix / January 4, 2007 12:41 PM PST
In reply to: Prefer written

... multi-media and multi-tasking! Wink

I understand what you mention here... The video aspects of the net are nice but sometimes prove unreliable, require extra plugins, or saps memory and CPU resources to the point that everything bogs down. Add that to the fact that sometimes you want to listen to music or net radio and it becomes frustrating... that the only news item covering a headline, is a video feed and not a written transcript.

The personal videos on YouTube and similar websites I enjoy, pod casts I enjoy, but I do wish they would keep news items in newsprint format for quick access.

I was listening to a Leo Laporte pod cast tonight and he mentioned that apple was coming out with a new CELL PHONE! that will act as an iPod, multimedia, blackberry, etc. etc. The reason why Laporte was excited about the release is, as he pointed out, apple is extremely successful at simplifying complicated devices. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

grim

Collapse -
I also favor written.
by John Robie / January 4, 2007 2:50 PM PST

I have a TV set right next to the PC and usually have it on.
Don't have a video phone.
Video shows up slow on dial-up, but am usually able to get it ok when I want to go to the trouble to see.
Yes, my PC seems to slow down when surfing on the net and a video is downloading at the same time.
Video technology for me would improve, being more friendly, if I sprang $'s for a new 'dual processor' PC and DSL.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?