Desktops forum

General discussion

video

by rockon1569 / April 28, 2005 7:29 AM PDT

alright so my Compaq has 64MB shared video memory or whatever. I was curious if there was some way to upgrade it and how much is right. I tried downloading a game I think it was SWAT demo or something and my moniter went crazy trying to play that game. thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: video
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: video
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 28, 2005 7:48 AM PDT
In reply to: video

But given only what's in your post that's about all I can tell you yet.

Bob

Collapse -
alrighty
by rockon1569 / April 28, 2005 8:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Yup.

alrighty what do you need to know and I'll sure give you my specs

thanks

Collapse -
Re: Video
by John Robie / April 28, 2005 11:06 AM PDT
In reply to: video

Hi Rockon,

I think what Bob is referring to is when you start a new discussion the first thing you should see is:

"Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem."

Your post did not give info or clues to help.

I did do a detailed advanced search on your previous posts and learned that your Compaq is a model SR125CL, has Integrated Via Unichrome graphics, and with research on the model #, reveals that you do have a AGP 8x,4x slot for upgrade of the graphics. Many computers with integrated graphics do not have the capability to upgrade graphics with an AGP or PCI-Express x16 slot.

I suggest a good median AGP Nvidia Geforce card like the FX5700 (not the LE version) for your computer. Check Newegg or Pricewatch.com on their specific models.

Collapse -
thanks...
by rockon1569 / April 28, 2005 12:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Video

really appreciate it. you said that many computers with intergrated graphics can't upgrade. The fact that I can, is that good or bad. Thanks,

Josh

Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / April 28, 2005 12:28 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks...

It's good!
Roger

Collapse -
another success
by rockon1569 / April 28, 2005 2:17 PM PDT
In reply to: RE:

with compaq. I have failed to be un-impressed with Compaq. They are great.

Collapse -
as for graphics
by ozos / April 29, 2005 9:32 AM PDT
In reply to: another success

while the FX 5700 is nice
it's going to be priced at nearly $100, which isn't a bad deal

BUT
I would just get a GeForce 6200, or GeForce 6600 instead (as their $109 and $134-ish respectivly)

aside from that, you can always choose to go ATi, which also has some nice offerings
in the AGP 8x range you have the 9600Pro for around the same money as the 5700 (and they are around the same performance)

and you have the 9600XT for about $4 more (And it's considerably faster)

the 9800 series cards are not worth the some $240 that they'll cost

if you want to spend around $200 on grpahics, newegg has an XFX GeForce 6800 for $199 after rebates (it's $229 w/o rebate)

aside from that, there isn't much I can suggest to you
i'd go with GeForce 6 as their just great cards, i can't tell you how the 6200 and 5700 will compare though, as i've yet to see them benchmarked against each other

as to the 9600XT vs the 5700, the 9600XT will win

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?