General discussion

Vicious boot cycle never finishes booting

My computer has been freezing as soon as it boots. So I tried doing a repair installation with xp pro disc. After computer would only boot as far as win logo screen, then restarts itself as far as the logo again. Went into setup menu and changed everything to setup defaults. Now, when I try to boot, I get the safe mode menu screen. I tried each of the options: start windows normally, last known good configuration, and safe mode. Each one shut down and brought me back to the safe mode menu. I'm gonna see if I can find anything surfing through knoppix and check back in a couple hours. If nobody has a chance to respond, I'm gonna reinstall. JUst don't want to waste anybody's time if they read this after. Will post again when if/when reinstall. thank you.

p4 2.8, Xp pro sp2, 1gig ram, 2 80 gig hd, kaspersky anti hacker, kaspersky anti virus, http tunnel, spybot, adaware se pro.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Vicious boot cycle never finishes booting
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Vicious boot cycle never finishes booting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
why not do a system restore....................

to some date PRIOR to when this started to happen??

post back and we can look at other options.

- Collapse -
wish I could restore

i would if i could but I never get past safe mode menu screen. As soon as I pick my option and hit enter the computer shuts down and begins to restart, only as far as safe mode menu though.

- Collapse -
re boot problem

Sounds like you have a heat problem. Pull the cover off & check your CPU fan & other fans while comp is running. If any are not running or running slow, clean them all; use air can &/or ear swab & alcohol. Clean all your components with air. If your CPU is overheating, it will just as you described. If that doesn't work, you my need to upgrade your power supply. Check the wattage. For your system, you should probably have at least a 350 watt p/s. Just out of curiosity, have you upgraded your hardware or is it factory built? There may other issues at work if you have. Let me know.

- Collapse -
I thought so too but....doesn't look that way

As this all started, I had just got a new power supply a 350. Computer came with 250. I put it in but nothing was any better. The new one has two plugs on the back, male and female with an insert which protrudes and it therefore doesn't fit well so i put the 250 back in. The case has been open ever since. (because it still isn't working). However, I should mention that knoppix(linux) works fine so I don't know if it is the power supply. All fans are spinning. I have added a dvd burner and a floppy drive. Everything else is the way it came. I've had the system for over a year now. It is a debranded hp a250y that I bought at auction. There was nothing on the hard drive but I downloaded original drivers from HP. The OS is legitimate, with my own serial xp pro. I think maybe I deleted something critical using system mechanic. I will check back in an hour and probably reinstall if nobody has a better idea. Will let you know when so I don't waste anybody's time. Still hoping to fix the problem. Thanks

- Collapse -
gonna reinstall now ty

gonna reinstall now ty

- Collapse -
reinstall

Any luck with reinstall? Honestly though, you really should use the 350w p/s with all that. As was just pointed out to me a couple of weeks ago by one of the moderators, the p/s can lose power over time if the load is heavy. If the reinstall doesn't help, check the manufactures specs on your CPU to see what the max operating temp is and then check your CPU temp. If you don't have a stand alone program for your CPU that tells you this, it lets you know what the temp is in the bios. It could be that your heat sink on the CPU isn't spinning as fast as it should or (not very likely though), the CPU itself is crapping out. You may just need to put some more thermal compound between the heat sink & CPU if it's a heat problem. Even with the tower open, it may still be a heat problem. It sure sounds like it. I don't think it's a software issue although you never know. If you think it might be an issue with Linux, I know someone who uses Linux and can check with him. Get back to me and good luck. Lloyd.

CNET Forums

Forum Info