General discussion

VHS to DVD or Mini-DV?

Hi everyone,
I?m rather new to this concept. I?ve somehow built up all the motivation to get all my parent?s camcorder VHS tapes and put them on my computer, and then to DVD. I?ve done some reading up on this, and it seems like it?s a task that I can do and it also seems there are a lot of programs to choose from and different ways this can be done. I was hoping someone on here might recommend the best way, program, etc.

First, my situation ? the camcorder is an early 1990?s model made by Sears Roebuck. I have located a plug on the back that says ?A/V Out?, as I?m guessing this is what I would need to be using.

I also have a Canon ZR-80, which I?ve taken videos off of numerous times. The reason I mention this, is I read (I think) where someone recommended putting the VHS tapes to mini-dv using the ZR-80 first, then putting on the computer using the ZR-80. I am still very new to this, so I was hoping I could get a little advice. Would it be best to put them to mini-dv first, or skip that and put them straight on my computer? Which would be best in terms of quality? It also looks like the software that can handle this varies in price a lot as well. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: VHS to DVD or Mini-DV?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: VHS to DVD or Mini-DV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
input

does your canon have an av input port?

- Collapse -
input

Based on all my research, it appears. It's a Canon ZR-80. From what I have read, it appears to be in the very front, labeled "DV". I grabbed the book, and there was nothing labeled a/v input port, but it does say "DV In" where this connection I'm talking about is located.

- Collapse -
Sorry

I meant to say "It appears it does have one"... Sorry about that.

- Collapse -
Best Option

Does anyone else know what might be the best option?

- Collapse -
Define "best"

I will share what I use. A DVR that has some DVD recorder and a hard drive. Some old VCR plays, the DVR records and then with about a 10 minute edit to snip off the ends, dub it to DVD.

The only quibble is the price of such things.
Bob

- Collapse -
Best

Well, I was first wondering what would be best in terms of quality, price, and time:

Putting the VCR tapes to Mini DV first, then to the computer
OR
Putting them straight on my computer from VCR tape.

I guess after I figure out which way would be better to go, I can probably research a lot more.. I just was kind of stumped on that. I read a forum post that recommended going the MINI DV route, but his camcorder was obviously different than mine.

- Collapse -
quality, price, and time:

quality, price, and time:

1. Quality.

All owners complain about the quality. But let's be honest here. All VHS content is RATTY OLD 480i (not even 480p) content. It has no quality so let's say any solution is good.

2. Price.

My setup is about 300 bucks. Well worth it since it works and I don't spend much more than 2 hours per 1 hour of video to get it to DVD.

The method you noted looks like it will take you about 6 hours for every hour of video but that's your time to spend.

3. Time.

The method I use is about 2 to 1. One hour for tape to the DVR hard drive. And a few minutes to snip off the ends then one hour dub to the DVD media. If we involve a PC we see time go up to about 6 hours per 1 hour of source video or worse.
Bob

- Collapse -
Next Step

okay, so what do I need to get next to do it the same way you are?

- Collapse -
Just links.

CNET Forums

Forum Info