General discussion

VHS to DVD

I?m a newbie at this but learning fast. I bought a Diamond OneTouch VC500 for video capture. It came with the capture s/w, video editing s/w and DVD burning s/w. After 3 days of hacking around and reading posts on line I now understand the end-to-end process.

PROBLEM ? Unless I capture the video using the highest quality capture format (DVD vs. SVCG, VCD, MPG4, etc) the playback quality goes significantly down hill. OK Great, no big deal, more testing reveals that approximately 4 hours of VHS converts to about 4GB of MPG files. Great I can fit a most of my 20 VHS tapes holding in the area of 4-5 hours of recordings onto at most 2 DVD?s each on average 1. Still happy.

It was at this point I learned that your DVD player can?t play MPG?s and you need to take that extra step of converting to DVD movie format. OH that?s what that extra piece of s/w they gave me was for. OK no big deal, add some nice edits to the video, some indexes, sweet?save?WHAT! My nice 4GB?s of MPG?s is now like 16GB of DVD movie file! Are you kidding me? After further research it appears I can put about 20 minutes of VHS at this compression setting(the good quality) on 1 4.7 GB DVD-R. So that?s about 300 DVD?s to capture my 100+ hours(20 tapes) of VHS.

Someone please tell me where I?m going wrong. I gotta be missing something!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: VHS to DVD
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: VHS to DVD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sorry for the ? everywhere. They should be appostrophies -

Cut and paste from word and didn't notice the bad conversion....no pun intended

- Collapse -
No kidding. Look at how old DVD is. It's very old and

Is not that good at compression. Nothing busted. It's just that old.

Why not stick to what you are doing as DVD players are getting smarter.
Bob

- Collapse -
ARGHHHHH

I Cant stick to what I'm doing. No way I'm copying on to 300 DVD's. I guess I'll go with lower quality.

- Collapse -
The most I could squeeze onto Video DVDs was

6 hours each and that was with a lot of cheats. The quality was so low that it was just like ELP VHS recordings. Painful.

Can I be honest here? Video DVD is dead. Go with your originals for now.
Bob

- Collapse -
Hehe, I got a nice laugh out of your post.

It remind me how it was when I first start playing with video conversion. Now I use a standalone dvd recorder as my first step (hopefully the final one as well).

Another thing, your video can never be any better than your tape in picture quality unless we are talking about enhancement which involve expensive s/w and time.

With a dvd recorder, one hour tape take one hour. The nice thing about it is to set and forget so to speak.

CNET Forums

Forum Info