Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

VHS to DVD

by b.matt99 / September 28, 2007 4:04 AM PDT

Hello ,
I recently purchased Sony's RDR-VX555 VHS to DVD burner. I have been burning some talks from VHS to DVD. The VHS tapes are 3 years old. On playing back the successfully burned DVDs there is a buzzing/hissing noise that only gets louder the louder I turn up my tv volume. So a few questions:

What is causing this?
How do I fix it?
Is there a way to burn in mono?
Would that make a difference?

By the way, I just recorded on a new VHS and then converted it to DVD using the Sony machine and there is a still some buzzing/hissing but it is much less.

Thanks for the help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VHS to DVD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VHS to DVD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are these tapes not made by you?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2007 4:37 AM PDT
In reply to: VHS to DVD

Macrovision and other copy protected tapes do that and more to stop you from copying them to tape or DVD.

The only tapes that seem to fly across are from camcorder or over the air tapes.

Bob

Collapse -
Non-copy protected
by b.matt99 / September 28, 2007 5:49 AM PDT

First of all, what is macrovision?
Secondly, these are not copy protected VHS.

Collapse -
Share details.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2007 9:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Non-copy protected

Almost every store bought VHS tape had some protection. You could have typed MACROVISION into google or looked at the Wikipedia. Since such is just a click away you can research that next.

Bob

Collapse -
Your answer seems to go against a whole industry
by b.matt99 / September 30, 2007 11:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Share details.

The whole point of a VHS to DVD converter is to work. Considering the cost of purchasing one, over $200, it should work well. Further, when one purchases blank VHS and records a talk at a church on a camcorder, there should be no copy protection on the VHS, the VHS is for personal use. Lastly, converting a non-copy right protected VHS of a church talk is what I am attempting to do and I am having problems with the audio and a little bit a blur on the bottom of the screen. If you can help me I would appreciate it.

Collapse -
This is why I asked for DETAILS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2007 11:57 PM PDT

Otherwise I have to make assumptions and then you will tell me I gave bad advice.

Your issue is not uncommon. The first and last few scan lines will be a little ragged. As to the audio you may have to get a preamp or equalizer to fix it up.

Some will toss all that and move to a PC or Mac so they can work it over.

Again, the advice you receive depends on the details you provide.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks, but I still need a little more help
by b.matt99 / October 2, 2007 1:22 AM PDT

Okay, an equalizer sounds good. I already burned the DVD's so is there a software program you would recommend in which I can put the DVDs in the computer, clean the audio, rip and re-burn to a DVD? Freeware would be my first preference.

Thanks,
Matt

Collapse -
How to find those freewares.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 2, 2007 3:48 AM PDT

I use google.com. The .VOB files are not copy protected so any of the VOB2AVI (see google.com) could be used. Virtual Dub could then be used to bump up the audio, trim the content.

But this is not an offer to write tutorials about said softwares. This space is much too small plus I would be duplicating web page content.

To get the .AVI files back to DVD, look at http://www.dvdflick.net/download.php

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!