Desktops forum

General discussion

VHS Tape to DVD through computer

by romer / November 26, 2003 11:39 PM PST

I want to edit my (boring) vacation and other VHS camcorder tapes into something more interesting and I'm going to buy a new computer and need to know, aside from a large hard drive and lots of ram what other features and software I need. Not trying to be a pro, just have a little fun.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VHS Tape to DVD through computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VHS Tape to DVD through computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:VHS Tape to DVD through computer
by Michael Geist / November 26, 2003 11:53 PM PST

You will need some form of video capture device to transfer and convert the analog tapes into digital format. Then some software to edit it. Lots of choices out there, just type "video capture" into a google search.

Collapse -
Re:VHS Tape to DVD through computer under 200 bucks.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2003 12:08 AM PST

Here's some combo that works.

1. The Haupaugge TV PCI capture card.
http://www.hauppauge.com/html/products.htm#pci The Go product is Mono, but does not matter since capture is from your audio card. You can use it's capture software to get the first step done. Less that 50 dollars.

2. A DVD recorder with bundled software. MANY out there, but a multi-format unit with Plus and Minus media support and DVD creation software (light video editing too) http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=DVD#DVD%20ReWriters%20-%20Internal starts at 113 dollars.

Maybe a trip to Radio Shack for a cable, but unlikely.

The host machine for a 2 hour video will have about 20GB free during the work and even my older P3-600 with 256 MB or RAM could do the DVD creation overnight. Even with more RAM and many more GHz of CPU, you still have to be patient.

Bottomline? This is getting a lot cheaper.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:VHS Tape to DVD through computer
by David Chan / November 28, 2003 10:04 AM PST

Basically any TV-Tuner card will let you will let you hook up your VHS-VCR and import your home video into your PC.

I've used the ATI TV-Wonder PCI card to do this successfully.

Once you have the files you can open them in Windows Movie Maker 2 (free D/L from MS) and use it to edit and add special effects, add sound and music to create a fun and professional movie.

Collapse -
Re:Re:VHS Tape to DVD through computer
by romer / November 30, 2003 2:06 AM PST

Thanks for your response . . . I need to ask for your patience . . . as I understand it I need
1. something to convert my VHS tape to a digital format to be understood by my computer. One solution is the card mentioned ATI TV Wonder pci. Another solution would be a converter like the one from Dazzle . . . moderately priced computer would not come with such a card but might be purchased as an option. Is Firewire needed for this connection?
2. I need software to edit the digitized home movie. This may or may not come with a moderately priced ($1400) computer. Is this software part of WindowsXP capabilities?
3. I need a DVD writer to put the digitized home movie on a DVD.

Any other insights about this process would be appreciated.

Thanks

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:VHS Tape to DVD through computer
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2003 2:57 AM PST

Thanks for your response . . . I need to ask for your patience . . . as I understand it I need
1. something to convert my VHS tape to a digital format to be understood by my computer. One solution is the card mentioned ATI TV Wonder pci. Another solution would be a converter like the one from Dazzle . . . moderately priced computer would not come with such a card but might be purchased as an option. Is Firewire needed for this connection?

The Dazzle 150 would need USB 2.0 which new machines note as Hi-Speed or USB 2.0.

2. I need software to edit the digitized home movie. This may or may not come with a moderately priced ($1400) computer. Is this software part of WindowsXP capabilities?

I don't care for the supplied Windows Movie Maker. You might like it.

3. I need a DVD writer to put the digitized home movie on a DVD.

YES. Just back from OfficeMax with a Multi-Format DVD record that will be 79USD after rebates. Very good deal. Haven't seen what software is bundled, but it will put out a DVD that will play on the common players.

So the price is down to: 118 USD.

Here's some combo that works.

1. The Haupaugge TV PCI capture card.
http://www.hauppauge.com/html/products.htm#pci The Go product is Mono, but does not matter since capture is from your audio card. You can use it's capture software to get the first step done. It was 39 dollars at Office Max today.

2. A DVD recorder with bundled software. MANY out there, but a multi-format unit with Plus and Minus media support and DVD creation software (light video editing too) http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=DVD#DVD%20ReWriters%20-%20Internal starts at 113 dollars. I picked up the 79 dollar unit today at OfficeMax.

Maybe a trip to Radio Shack for a cable, but unlikely.

The host machine for a 2 hour video will have about 20GB free during the work and even my older P3-600 with 256 MB or RAM could do the DVD creation overnight. Even with more RAM and many more GHz of CPU, you still have to be patient.

Bottomline? This is getting a lot cheaper.

Bob

Collapse -
VHS to DVD
by howndawg / June 13, 2005 3:36 AM PDT

Try something like the SONY VRD-VC10. It's an MPEG2 encoder and DVD+-RW burner built-in. All you need to do is hook up your VCR to it, and then put a DVD+R disc into the unit and start converting with the push of a button.

If you want to do edits, you can still use this unit (or the hundreds of others that can also dump your movie onto a computer), do your edits (I recommend VideoReDo, videoredo.com), then burn using a DVD burner or that same VRD-VC10 for example.

Alternatively, you can have your movies converted professionally. There are many conversion shops to choose from. http://www.homedvd.ca/ for example

Cheers

Collapse -
Notice the date of this discussion?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2005 3:42 AM PDT
In reply to: VHS to DVD

My answer has changed as the Dazzle is not around anymore.

Why reply to such an old post?

Collapse -
VHS to DVD
by howndawg / June 13, 2005 4:49 AM PDT

Because this post is indexed in google and many people may be searching for tips on VHS to DVD conversion and hit an old thread with outdated info

Happy?

Collapse -
Take care.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2005 4:52 AM PDT
In reply to: VHS to DVD

Replying to very old threads usually elicits "why?"

Other forums are indexed via google, so take care with randome replies.

Bob

Collapse -
I found a cool device to convert VHS...
by cdnchin / May 6, 2009 8:50 AM PDT

I just purchased a video conversion device from altoedge.com and I am loving it. I thought I would just add my 2 cents.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.