Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

VHS Compatibility on HD LCD TV

by dddaignea / March 22, 2007 8:58 AM PDT

I am trying to upgrade my Home Video system from analog to digital. I have hundreds of pre-recorded VHS tapes. When I try to play the tapes on my HD/LCD tv I got a horrible picture. This also happens with older movies that were released on DVD. It was suggested that I buy a DVD recorder with up-convert technology and record my VHS on to DVD's. When I tried to do this I got a message that could not record due to License violation. Help...how do I watch VHS tapes on a HD/LCD tv and combine old and new technology?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VHS Compatibility on HD LCD TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VHS Compatibility on HD LCD TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Honestly. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 22, 2007 10:29 AM PDT

you live with it. It's the nature of the beast. Tapes were analog and had a resolution of 480 lines. And since you've found you can't copy prerecorded media, strike two.

Now.

I bought a Samsung upconverting DVD/VCR combo and the DVDs are excellent. The combo unit connects to my Sony SXRD via HDMI and the picture is well improved over S-video or the older component cables. But my tapes are barely passable.

It's the nature of the beast, and that beast is called "Improved Technology". But you cannot improve VHS.

Collapse -
DDD S VIDIO IS THE BEST HOOK UP
by stewart norrie / March 22, 2007 11:55 AM PDT

I own over 70 Laurel and hardy old v.h.s. tapes all b/w They do look fine considering they were made in the 30s and 40s I use s.vidio . for best picture its the nature of the beast flee market time ha ha steweee

Collapse -
VHS
by Dan Filice / March 22, 2007 12:15 PM PDT

You didn't say how you have your VHS deck connected to your TV. This may have something to do with it. I've been through the VHS issue too. I do not watch VHS on my 50" HDTV, only on my 23" HDTV where the picture is small enough to compensate for the low-res image. I've burned several old movies to DVD (Laurel & Hardy, Beast with Five Finger and the like) and this doesn't help because the poor quality of a VHS does not improve by doing this. You only transfer the lousy quality to DVD, plus you add a few artifacts too. I only did this process to experiment and because a couple of the movies were not available on DVD and watching VHS is not convenient. But what a pain. I used my computer to ingest the tapes and burn them to disc, and it's a lot of work. My analog-to-digital converter will bypass copyguard which most, if not all, DVD tabletop recorders don't, but I only use it on a rare occassion.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!