General discussion

VGA TO DVI???

I just bought a 22 inch widescreen monitor with DVI input, but my computer doesn't have a DVI out. Will a VGA to DVI cable do the trick, or do I need a new video card? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: VGA TO DVI???
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: VGA TO DVI???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
VGA = analog - DVI = digital. . .

Is such a cable available? Never saw one myself. You need a new video card.

- Collapse -
Yeah

Yeah that. Will that convert to digital or keep it analog?

- Collapse -
If you must have DVI, then..

I think a new card might be better ($30-$40). Using an adapter doesn't change things much.

- Collapse -
Suggestions...

ok what card (or type of card) would you recommend? Keep in mind I use my computer as my TV.

- Collapse -
For example;
- Collapse -
VGA to DVI output

You will spend a fair amount of bucks to try and convert that VGA output to DVI. It can be done. However, you will be more greatly satisfied by purchasing another video card. Any cheap video card with DVI output will be better than converting the VGA.

- Collapse -
Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Anymore suggestions on a good card? According to my specs I have an AGP slot. I don't do gaming, but again, my computer is also my television.

- Collapse -
Video Card

This is by no means the only selection but is a good one.

ATI Radeon X1650 Pro / 512MB GDDR2 / AGP 8x / DVI / VGA / HDTV / Video Card

The Radeon

- Collapse -
It depends

If the plug on the monitor is DVI-I it will accept an analog signal and should work fine with a simple adapter cable (as opposed to DVI-D which will only accept digital). If you can't find this information or you know it is DVI-D (which I'm guessing it probably is), I would suggest getting a new video card.

You can get one with a tuner and video inputs built in (i.e. ATI All-in-Wonder cards) or if you already have a tuner card, any basic video card will do--you can get one for as low as $30. You may be thinking since you don't do 3D gaming you have no reason to spend more, but higher end cards have more features to improve the image quality of DVDs and TV and better support for things like HD video and HDCP if needed. Look at the features and reviews of different cards to find what out which have what you're looking for.

Also there is AGP 2X/4X/8X and AGP Pro 4X/8X so you'll have to figure that out. Here's a good starting point:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=Property&N=2010380048&PropertyCodeValue=696%3A9640%2C696%3A9638%2C696%3A9639%2C691%3A9630%2C691%3A9631&bop=And&Page=2

- Collapse -
There are adapters (I've seen Mac's using VGA's)

I know adapters are avalible from Apple. Also most ATI cards now come with both a VGA and DVI port. perhaps you should check the monitor next time you buy one.

- Collapse -
OK new card it is.

So if I buy a new card, on a scale from 1 to 10 how much better will the picture be if I use DVI rather than using the ol' VGA like i'm doing now?

- Collapse -
How good?

First of all, we don't know what you have now. So, given that, assuming you have a normal type setup, lets give it a 5 if you go for a dvi card and not vga conversion.

- Collapse -
Normal

I'm guessing it's normal. I don't even know the specs of the card that came with my computer originally (Compaq Presario 6000 Pentium 4), and I can't find it online. All I know is it's at least 5 years old, connected to the motherboard, and doesn't have a DVI connection. Westinghouse LCM-22w3 22" LCD is the monitor. The monitor has a DVI input, but I'm connecting using the VGA port.

- Collapse -
Virtually anything

Looking at that, nearly any AGP video card will work perfectly fine. ATI's website nearly always has clearance deals that would suit your purpose perfectly. But if you're looking for specifics, I'd go for anything at least Radeon 9000 or GeForce FX series.

- Collapse -
Could try this...
- Collapse -
Trouble shoot

My monitor displays it's on dvi for about 3 seconds then goes to sleep. However, the display reads it is on dvi & should be on vga. How can I go to an "options menu" to change display to dvi?????

- Collapse -
I see you top posted this.

This old post is closing.

CNET Forums