Question

VGA signal ok, DVI no signal

I have looked for months to find a new graphics card for an older PC that I built, changing it from an AIW pro PCI card to an AGP card. Until now, I could not get a signal either through the VGA or DVI ports. I finally found one that provides a signal through the VGA port but no signal at all on the DVI port.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: VGA signal ok, DVI no signal
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: VGA signal ok, DVI no signal
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Tried Updating The BIOS?

If the older computer BIOS doesn't support the options you're trying to add, then it may be fruitless. So, make sure you have the latest BIOS version and the latest chipset driver for the motherboard.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Answer
Good sleuthing. I think you nailed it.

ALL FX5500's I encountered were strictly VGA (analog) on both ports. Your display on the DVI is indeed DVI-D.

Interface:
Standard Analog VGA (D-Sub)
Standard Digital DVI-D (Single Link)

No matter what you do, you should never see an image from that card to that monitor on DVI.

Good sleuthing!
Bob

- Collapse -
Another Monitor?

R. Profitt,

- Collapse -
Odd advice.

I can only guess the responder was thinking current tech rather than the FX5200 to 5700 line. But my memory of those cards is very clear as I happened to be helping out a friend at their shop when those cards were very popular.

In theory DVD-D would be a little sharper but we don't have that option. In theory there would be no performance gain. If you wanted the best of those days you would have found the FX5700 but then I went past that and found a VERY NICE Nvidia PCI 9500 GT with 1GB RAM on PCI. It really did much better than the AGP FX5700.

My advice is to stick to VGA and keep an eye open for a cast off 5700.
Bob

- Collapse -
PCI card better than AGP

Bob,

- Collapse -
Why yes it did.

Remember that video card performance is not just the transfer rate but the capability of the GPU and the card.

This continues to annoy and confound many.

As to your last question of the 5500 to 5700. Yes, that was (at the time) considered a big upgrade in speed.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks,

Bob,

CNET Forums