Desktops forum


VGA/HDMI source to DisplayPort monitor

by karthN / May 28, 2012 10:25 PM PDT


Bought a l2201x HP Elite monitor, that only has a displayport input. I bought it online, and didnt think a monitor would come with only one input, that is difficult to use... kinda my goof. I dont want to return it, as it was meant as a gift, and I got a good deal on it.

The laptop I want to connect it to is a TOSHIBA a505 laptop with only an output of VGA / HDMI

is there anyway that I can use this monitor?

everything I've found so far is Displayport source to HDMI/VGA monitors. And I need the opposite of that, which, from what I've learned on this issue, wont work?

or I have to pay 190$ for an adapter.... which is more then what the monitor cost and is beyond the price I want to pay for an adapter @_@!!

uber frustrated, no idea what I'm going to do, any help on the issue would be appreciated...

At this point, i've even thought about building a computer (never done it before), to get the monitor to work... in which case, I assume I have to get a video card with a displayport output, and those dont seem very common from what I searched.

Once again, any and all advice would be appreciated, thank you :o


Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VGA/HDMI source to DisplayPort monitor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VGA/HDMI source to DisplayPort monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you try amazon?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2012 7:34 AM PDT

All Answers

Collapse -
by Willy / May 28, 2012 11:12 PM PDT

I think you understand your situation well. There is no easy or rather cheap way out for you. Just google away for some adapter. It would appear more research on your end could have avoided this. Sad

Yes, if build a PC, you need the proper video/port to attach monitor. In some ways that maybe $ better spend as you more easily use a desktop which you can install a video card with the required needs. If possible get the adapter and then a "gender" changer to change connection if that is what seems to be the issue.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions


Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!