Avast & AVG forum

General discussion

VG 8.5 /9 installation problems

by Finnebarra / November 7, 2009 10:51 PM PST

Tried to take advantage of the upgrade to 9 but everything went badly afterwards. Both IE and Firefox wouldn't work. Used sytem restore to get back to a previous stable environment but now AVG will not work at all. When I tried the unistall it came up with a dialog box message "Installation failed" Any ideas as to how I can remove all traces of Avg 8.5 and 9 and do a fresh reinstall of 8.5. I think I have seen enough of AVG 9

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VG 8.5 /9 installation problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VG 8.5 /9 installation problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE
by Dusan_AVG / November 9, 2009 5:06 AM PST
Collapse -
Same problem
by FOLDER623 / November 12, 2009 9:14 PM PST

I have used AVG a long time and it worked great. Better than Norton & McAfee. But the new 9.0 free edition I gave up on. Tried 3 times to do the free, then 2 times for the trial version. After about 5 hours of download time it says there was an error, but not what the error is.
Windows XP Home Edition 2002 service pack 3

Collapse -
AVG 8.5/9 intallation problems
by Finnebarra / November 12, 2009 10:10 PM PST
In reply to: Same problem

I actually downloaded another free version , installed and then uninstalled using the uninstall facility and removed (via Windows Explorere)all the previous directory files. I then reinstalled and inserted the full license number. Everything went well.
I think I had caused part of the problem by not including the full license number and every time I tried a fresh install I was compounding the problem. However everything is now running fine. Not sure if this is of any help to you.

Good luck

Collapse -
Thanks
by Jiri_AVG AVG Staff / November 18, 2009 4:14 PM PST

for letting us know that everything is running fine now.

Jiri

Collapse -
AVG9 installation problems.
by trackrod / December 21, 2009 8:36 AM PST

I've had AVG (free) as an anti-everything for the last 8 years. 'Never had a problem with updates until I upgraded to Version 9 a couple of months ago. I use Firefox (with all the updates) as my browser and Win XP pro (Also up to date) as the OS.
I got the notice to upgrade from AVG8 - 9, which I attempted. The download uninstalled my existing AVG (8) and attempted to install(9).
Everything appeared to be progressing as normal until the final phase when it failed. I tried numerous sites to download what I hoped were 'Clean AVG 9' downloads but in each case the installation failed. In desperation (because I now had no anti-virus program and couldn't find an older version - like version AVG8)) I found Microsoft Essentials - which, sadly, I'm stuck with - but credit where credit is due, it does seem to work well and has found one or two problems which it has sorted.
AVG are insistant that the problems being encountered are not of their making. Combatability???? Regards, Fred.

Collapse -
Re: AVG9 installation problems
by Ondrej_AVG / December 21, 2009 5:34 PM PST
Collapse -
I found a way !
by FOLDER623 / December 21, 2009 8:54 PM PST

I found a trial version for 30 days, was like 125 MB it loaded up fine. Then at the last 6 days I installed the free version, which was 75 MB. I have had no problems since. I had major problems with the free version that had to download after install. But the full versions installed the 1 ST time.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.