Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Veterans Day

by Angeline Booher / November 11, 2008 12:44 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Veterans Day
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Veterans Day
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just returned from local ceremonies
by JP Bill / November 11, 2008 12:54 AM PST
In reply to: Veterans Day

Watching ceremonies from Ottawa on tv.

Collapse -
From Daily Britannica, a particular item:
by drpruner / November 11, 2008 2:16 PM PST
At 5:00 AM the Allied powers and Germany signed an armistice document in the railway carriage of Ferdinand Foch, the [French] commander of the Allied armies, and six hours later World War I came to an end.

Twenty-some years later, Hitler's people located the car, and used it to accept the French surrender.
Collapse -
I just discovered that my uncle got a Wikipedia mention
by Josh K / November 11, 2008 11:35 PM PST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Strauss

Scroll down to the section on Strauss and the Nazis. My uncle was the Lieutenant. He loved telling that story and I loved asking him to tell it. He passed away on Christmas Day 2001.
Collapse -
Connections:
by drpruner / November 14, 2008 10:43 PM PST

I knew Strauss had been "liberated" by USA forces. Here's more on his encounters, from Wikipedia:
"The Concerto in D major for Oboe and Small Orchestra, Op. 144, TrV 292, was written by Richard Strauss in 1945. It was one of the last works he composed near the end of his life, during an "Indian summer" in which he unabashedly returned to the Romantic style of his youth.
Strauss had been requested to compose the concerto by John de Lancie, an American GI who in civilian life had been an oboist of the Pittsburgh Orchestra and who visited Strauss's home after encountering him while stationed in Germany after World War II. When asked if he had ever thought about writing an oboe concerto, Strauss simply answered, "No". However, in the months to follow, the idea grew on him and it was premiered on February 26, 1946 in Z

Collapse -
that's nice
by James Denison / November 15, 2008 1:56 AM PST

we all have an uncle that was in that war. Not all were so lucky.
http://abmc.gov/search/wwii.php
search denison, john
My dad's brother 2 yrs older.
Enlisted in April, dead by Christmas.

Collapse -
Have you been to the cemetery?
by Josh K / November 17, 2008 12:16 AM PST
In reply to: that's nice

A coworker of mine has been to visit the Normandy beaches, some of the cemeteries, etc. I'd like to do that sometime.

Collapse -
almost
by James Denison / November 17, 2008 1:24 AM PST

I thought he was buried further over in France, otherwise I'd have visited the site in 1984 or 1985 when I spent some weeks in Germany. I'd rented an Opel and driven all along the Mosel river, traveled the Hundsruck region near Weisbaden too, not realizing my uncle was just across on the other side of the river. I'd thought the second time of visiting France, but was waiting for my firstborn to come and didn't want to miss it, so wasn't willing to get too far out from the hospital.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.