Peripherals forum

General discussion

Very wierd problem..... Help if u can figure it out.

by ytxty / February 24, 2006 9:19 AM PST

Recently my mouse curser started freezing. Everything with my computer is fine and i can even continue to use my mouse as long as i can guess where the curser is. It is pretty annoying and only seems to happen with a few applications open.

Could someone tell me if this is a Hard Drive problem? Memory Problem? I dont think its my mouse. Virus? Im stumped because i have never heard of this happening before. Thanks for any help.

Im running 2500+ Athlon system with a stick of 512 pc3200 memory. I have two 60 gb hard drives aswell. If more specs are needed let me know.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Very wierd problem..... Help if u can figure it out.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Very wierd problem..... Help if u can figure it out.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Likely a software/driver issue...
by John.Wilkinson / February 24, 2006 10:02 AM PST

It's gotta be a software, not hardware issue, most likely dealing with your drivers. I'd check Device Manager and see if any flags (yellow caution symbols) are going off for the mouse driver. If the mouse is beyond the basic two button mouse, try reinstalling the software that came with it. If you are using custom cursors, try switching back to the standards for a while. Also, check Task Manager and see if any odd processes are showing up. The exact instructions and what you're looking for depend on your operating system and model of mouse, so make sure you include that in your response.

Let us know.

P.S. The good news is that this is not all that uncommon and is rarely a hardware issue, so it's a matter of debugging, not spending money to replace parts.

Collapse -
Cordless Optical Mouse is Scrolling ONLY
by offerocker / August 27, 2006 11:49 PM PDT

I have a Logitech cordless Optical Mouse, running on Sony Vaiao, WinXP.
Suddenly, mouse doesn't work; changed batteries (although too soon), then noticed that the 'red light' underneath wasn't lit. Hmmm tried 'reconnect' several times. Rebooted, received Error msg that "Desktop Messenger was missing the Resource DLL". (without naming the DLL).
Downloaded set point301enu.exe, then MW9791enu.exe (just looking at notes). Both provide msgs that current software is more current. ???
ODD: I CAN SCROLL, but neither button works - that's what's getting me !!

Collapse -
Dead hardware or low batteries.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 28, 2006 12:23 AM PDT

BTDT. No scars.

Collapse -
by offerocker / August 28, 2006 4:10 AM PDT

BTDT = Bit The Dust Then?

I was hoping for a DLL name at least,
(since it's missing, according to system message),
but will trek on's no biggie these days

Collapse -
if a wireless mouse...
by linkit / February 24, 2006 3:49 PM PST

...then try replacing mouse batteries.

Collapse -
by ytxty / February 25, 2006 5:14 AM PST
In reply to: if a wireless mouse...

So far I have tried reinstaling drivers. I have just a regular microsoft blue USB wheel mouse. I shut it down and unpluged the mouse and repluged it in. To no avail. After that i downloaded MSCONFIG and wiped out any and all programs which didnt need to be running and at start up i am at a bare minimum. Sadly im starting to think this is some sort of virus. Its just very annoying that my computer works fine and everything but i have to click around without a curser (even though im getting quite good at it. haha.) Anyways keep the suggestions comming becasue i am stumped.

Collapse -
by linkit / February 25, 2006 5:19 AM PST
In reply to: :(

...then have you given your computer a good scanning with an updated antivirus program AND AN UPDATED ANTISPYWARE PROGRAM? Hint: Use more than one antispyware scanner. There are many decent free programs that do this.

Collapse -
Try another mouse!
by Baper / February 27, 2006 9:04 AM PST
In reply to: :(

I had a friend who's optical mouse just wore out and began doing lots of weird things. Maybe you can borrow another mouse and try it to see if the problem is your mouse.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?