My PC is EXTREMELY slow and I suspect a hardware problem. Any help would be appreciated...
This is the strangest PC/Windows problem I have ever seen. I hope that someone might steer me in the right direction.
Intel Core 2 Quad
1 TB HDD (Western Digital Caviar Green-WD10EADS-00M2B0)
Windows 7 Ultimate
At times, the PC runs EXTREMELY slow when a Windows action is requested. For instance:
1. Opening Windows explorer will take 2 minutes from click until it is open and ready for use. During the wait time the little 'wait' icon just spins. During the two minutes, parts of Explorer gradually appear. It's like slow motion.
2. Boot-up of Windows 7 may take 10 minutes and just as long to shut-down.
3. Opening WMP takes about a minute from the time I double-click on a video to play. Once started the video plays fine, except if you request Windows to do any other task, like open IE, then the video also goes into slow motion while IE is loading.
I could go on and on but simply put, the PC, with Windows 7, runs ULTRA slow whenever I open an application. Applications run from CDrom run just fine. One other note...when in 'slow motion' the HDD activity indicator light pretty much stays solid ON. During normal speed operation, like playing a video, it blinks off and on periodically.
Actions I have taken:
1. Ran 'memtest86' from CDrom. Ran overnight with NO errors.
2. Ran Western Digital HDD diagnostic. Both Quick test and Extended test (3 hours) show NO errors.
3. Deleted ALL partitions from HDD. Did basic format (Format c). Installed Windows 7 from scratch and did not connect to Internet. This action should eliminate ANY probability of a virus or malware. The install from CDrom went about normally as data was loaded from the CDrom but as Windows started to initialize it took much longer than 'normal' (about 45 minutes). With the new install the same ULTRA slow problem exists.
4. Repeated step 3 a second time with the same results!
I'm 'slow motion' stumped! Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated? If I have posted this in the wrong category please tell me where to go....
Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly
Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?