General discussion

very vague- NAV 2001 uh oh

kids got a used windows 98 with NAV 2001 installed- very expired- i went to the uninstaller to remove it- got a pop up about shared files being in quarantine do i want to remove or leave- i chose to leave them- then comp froze- reset- then the black screen and a message about a file needed to boot NAV and it mentioned the 386 file- what file is that? do i need the original NAV disk to fix it so i can remove it? dorry this is vague-i was hoping to go into safe mode and delete nav???

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: very vague- NAV 2001 uh oh
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: very vague- NAV 2001 uh oh
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Do you mean: SYMEVNT.386 ??

If you have uninstalled (a version of) Norton antivirus, he should do this:

Go to Start/run, type Regedit.

Drill down to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD

Click on the plus sign preceding 'VXD'
A long list of VXD's unfolds.

Locate Symevnt.

Highlight it, and press the DELETE key.
Quit Registry Editor, and then restart your computer.

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=113929

- Collapse -
i think so

yes i think thats it- i will restart to be sure- will write it down- if thats it i will try what you suggested.. thanks

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're Welcome :)
- Collapse -
cant uninstall nav

well i still get the error still after doing that.just have to hit any key a few times to get it to boot. when i try to uninstall NAV i get missing C/progran files/norton antivirus/nav95.isu'.cannot uninstall NAV 2001.. not sure what to do....

- Collapse -
Uninstall NAV 2001

here is the Symantec uninstall NAV 2001 link

If that doesn't work - scroll down till you see:

To uninstall NAV using the Rnav2003.exe removal utility
Symantec has created a removal utility named Rnav2003.exe to help with the uninstallation. Follow the instructions in How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus using the Rnav2003.exe removal utility to download and run the Rnav2003.exe removal utility.

HTH

- Collapse -
Hi Lise, are you getting any

kind of specific error numner? Norton uses 4 digit numbered error message usually and it would be a big help of you have one of them. It would look something like "Error 1921" for an example.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Excuse the typos please LOL
- Collapse -
no error number

just sais that file is missing cannot uninstall.. will follow the link... i hate the thought i screwed up the kids comp.. i feel so bad right now...

- Collapse -
Use Marianna's link for the

uninstallation. Norton is usually a hastle to uninstall so tell the kids not to be rough on you. LOL

- Collapse -
lol

i have to wait-- hubbys playing elf bowling on it- kids arent too happy. lol; thansk so much

- Collapse -
That's a fun game, I had 2

different editions of it on my old computer. LOL

- Collapse -
nav uninstalled

that was fun...... thansk so much for the help.. comp runs better than mine now.. have a few minor programs to eliminate yet- messengers can go- the kids arent allowed internet access yet- thanks so much

- Collapse -
That's great Lisa. Marianna deserves the credit

and she had to leave for a while but I'm sure she'll see this. You are welcome and NOT giving the kids internet access yet is a very smart move on your part for sure. Enjoy the Elf Bowling. LOL

- Collapse -
thank you

worked great.... i followed the link and followed the directions... thank you so much

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Lisa, You Are Welcome - glad we were able to help :)

CNET Forums

Forum Info