Laptops forum

General discussion

Very Small Portable Laptop vs. PDA

by rw56 / November 16, 2006 4:43 AM PST

Hi everyone,

I need some help, please. I'd love to find a WiFi capable, portable computer in a small and light package. I'd like to be able to do the following:

1) surf the web/do coursework on line/send and receive email--for this reason I'd prefer a reasonably sized screen and keyboard, i.e. a cell phone screen and keyboard are too small.
2) record and listen to music--for this reason portability, light weight and small size would be big pluses. My current music collection is maybe 3000 songs so i'd like to be able to hold maybe 5000 total.
3) manage personal information, e.g. calendar, address books, etc.

Reliability is huge for me. I owned two of the first Palm 3 PDAs and they both crashed, twice each. No more Palms for me.

Any ideas are welcome because I'm very new to MP3, WiFi and such.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Very Small Portable Laptop vs. PDA
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Very Small Portable Laptop vs. PDA
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some suggestions :
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / November 16, 2006 4:49 AM PST

Look at the HP Pavilion dv3000t ( 14.1 " ). Nice desing ...

There is also the Dell Inspiron E1405. Same screen size.

You can try to find a good Toshiba 14.1" model ...

Asus, a good brand but seams to be not very popular in America, makes pretty good ultraportable laptops.

Finally, the Compaq V3000t is a nice and affordable laptop.

Collapse -
Nothing doesn't crash.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2006 4:50 AM PST

Even laptops only last a few years. While I really enjoy my PalmOne TX and other PDAs, I treat them nicely. My Palm IIIc is now at it's 5 year mark. Usually I find these to last a very long time. I've never had a failure so I keep coming back.

Your requirements are however too stiff for a PDA. Go laptop shopping.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?