PC Applications forum

General discussion

very slow word document appearance

by aarons40 / May 15, 2009 7:05 PM PDT

Recently it's taking ages, sometimes 40 seconds or more, for a new or existing word document to appear after I click on it. I recently downloaded Spotify. Is this the cause? Everything else on my system is working fine. I have Windows XP.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: very slow word document appearance
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: very slow word document appearance
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 15, 2009 11:07 PM PDT

You didn't share what antivirus you use and there is another reason I encounter so here's my SHORT list.

1. The antivirus is scanning documents during open.
2. There are thousands of documents in that directory.

Collapse -
Slow word document appearance
by aarons40 / May 16, 2009 3:00 AM PDT
In reply to: One usual.

I use Norton 360 Premier Edition and have been for over one year. This is a recent problem, probably not much more than six weeks.

Collapse -
Hope you find it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2009 3:21 AM PDT

Norton updates frequently. I think you dismissed it in your reply?

Collapse -
Slow word Document appearance
by aarons40 / May 16, 2009 5:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Hope you find it.

Are you saying that the only way I can improve the speed is to delete a lot of my old word documents?

Collapse -
Or try Word without the Norton addon.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2009 8:52 AM PDT

Research WORD'S SAFE MODE.

Collapse -
Various possibilities...
by John.Wilkinson / May 16, 2009 6:04 AM PDT

Among the most likely are:
1.) An installed add-on for Office/Word causing a significant delay during initial launch. Resolution: Uninstall/disable the add-ons.
2.) A corrupt normal.dot or normal.dotx file. Resolution: Search for and delete said template files, which will be automatically recreated.
3.) A corrupt installation of Word/Office. Resolution: Perform a repair installation of Word/Office.
4.) Security software scanning the application and file in real-time. Resolution: Disable real-time scanning or temporarily disable the security software.
5.) Low system resources resulting in overall drop in performance. Resolution: Terminate unnecessary running applications and/or add more RAM.

The number of Word files you have on your computer has no significant effect on Word's ability to launch and open a selected file in a reasonable amount of time and I do not believe Spotify affects Word/Office in any way.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Slow word document appearance
by aarons40 / May 16, 2009 6:35 AM PDT

Thanks I'll check it out

Collapse -
Have you completed a "Comprehensive Scan" with Norton 360?
by Michael_York / May 22, 2009 5:40 AM PDT

Hello aarons40,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

If you have not already done so, manually run LiveUpdate from within Norton 360 to ensure that you have the latest program and definition files applied to your installation. If any updates are installed, restart your computer and then manually run LiveUpdate again. If any more updates are installed, restart your computer again and then perform a "Comprehensive Scan" with Norton 360 to make sure there are no infections present that can be causing the issue you are having.

I would also suggest that you run Windows and Office update to make sure you have the latest patches applied.

Please let me know what version of Norton 360 Premier Edition you are currently using. If by chance you are not using version 3, and have a valid subscription, you are entitled to a free update to version 3. Let me know what version you are using and I can then assist you further.

Thanks,
Mike

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

Collapse -
My Norton 360 Premier Edition
by aarons40 / May 22, 2009 6:04 AM PDT

As a matter of fact I just renewed my subscription and it has 367 left to run. It's version 2.5.0.5. I ran a comprehensive scan a week ago. I run a manual live update monthly. I haven't run a windows/office update but I will.

Thanks for your suggestions and the offer to upgrade to version 3. How do I do that?

Many thanks

Collapse -
Update to Norton 360 Version 3
by Michael_York / May 23, 2009 5:01 AM PDT

Hi Aarons40,

Since you have a valid subscription, you are entitled to a free update to Norton 360 Premier edition version 3, which I highly encourage you to do after you have updated Windows and Norton and completed the "Comprehensive Scan."

Please NOTE, that while this process will update you to the latest version of Norton 360, it will not extend your current subscription. To update to Norton 360 Premier Edition version 3, please visit the Norton Update center at the link below.

Norton Update Center

When the installation of the updated version is complete, launch Norton 360 version 3, mouse-over the "PC Security" bubble and choose "Check for Updates" so that you get the latest product and definition files applied to your installation. If any updates are installed, restart your computer.

As to the issue you are having with Word documents, you can disable the scanning of Word documents and still be protected, as long as the core "Auto-Protect" engine and the other advanced features are enabled. As soon as a Word file is written to disk, the real-time scanning will check the file and you should not notice any slowness. To disable the scanning of Office documents, open Norton 360 and select the "Settings" link art the top of the window. Next, select the "AntiVirus" icon and then select the "Scans & Risks" tab at the top. Locate the "Microsoft Office Automatic Scan" option and disable it. Click the "Apply" button.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,
Mike

Michael York
Symantec Corporation

Collapse -
Updated Norton
by aarons40 / May 23, 2009 5:13 AM PDT

Thanks very much. Things are running faster.

Collapse -
Norton 360 Update
by Michael_York / May 25, 2009 4:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Updated Norton

Hi aarons40,

Thanks for letting me know that you were able to get the update installed and have Norton 360 version 3 functioning smoothly and faster. I'm glad I was able to help you out.

Take care,
Mike

Michael York
Symantec Corporation

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!