Computer Help forum

General discussion

very slow Pent III

by Berfert / April 21, 2004 1:53 AM PDT

Hello I'm asking for suggestions on why a Dell OptiPlex GX110 with Pent III 733, 256 meg ram, 10 gig HD, W2K SP4 would be running extremely slow? It?s almost like it only had 64 meg of ram. It runs at the same speed with 128 meg of ram.

Steps I have taken to correct the slowness.
1 - disk cleanup & defrag
2 - Spybot & Ad-Aware
3 - Stinger
4 - Hijack This (in progress)
5 - House Call
6 ? Trojan Scanner (TDS3)
7 ? turned of some services (sevices.msc)

This is a work pc so it mostly is for running MS Office.

Thanks for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: very slow Pent III
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: very slow Pent III
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:very slow Pent III
by Berfert / April 21, 2004 4:16 AM PDT
In reply to: very slow Pent III

I think I have discoverd a clue. This PC only has a 145W power supply, I would have thought dell would have at least used a 250W.

Collapse -
by computernut / April 22, 2004 3:46 PM PDT

You have certainly taken some good steps to speed up the pc.The thing I've noticed that slows down performance the most are programs that usually start up with Windows such as weather trackers especially.Check your startup folder and see whats in there.Sometimes reinstalling the operating system will solve the problem just be sure all your truly important data is backed up first.Another possibility you might consider is a hardware upgrade.For about 150. to 250. dollars you can buy a new motherboard and processor.The Pentium 4's are generally higher in cost than the AMD so expect to spend more on them.It is not that difficult to upgrade and the performance boost will be significant.I am fixing to upgrade my brother's Pentium 2 with a new MB, AMD 2000 XP processor,and 256 MB of DDR 2100 Ram.Cost is about 160.00.Lastly, if you havent upgraded to XP that could significantly improve your performance even on that older machine.However, you may run into problems such as a printer or scanner not working.Most often those problems can be solved by downloading the latest drivers from the manufacturers web site and installing them.Any of these solutions require backup of your important data first.The upgrade to XP is probably the safest and cheapest solution.

Collapse -
by simonvinyl / April 22, 2004 6:41 PM PDT

A few things you might also look into are:
1. The bus clock speed in the BIOS make sure it?s running at the manufactures spec.
2. That your RAM slots are working (if you have 2 sticks) Check My Computer and see that it is reporting 256Mb of ram and / or use a program such as 'Belarc Advisor? (Goggle) to get the system information.
3. An OS format and re-install will usually fix all problems; this is a pain but will return the PC to its original state. If the problem is still there after this, then i suggest you get in touch with the manufacturer / supplier. If it?s run out of warranty then you need to upgrade. Remember to back up all data!

Collapse -
Re: very slow Pent III
by sip70 / June 25, 2004 2:50 AM PDT

When was the last time you re-formatted your hard drive? If it's been over a year,I'd re-fomat the hard drive and do a clean install of W2K. Sounds like you did everthing else that's possible to get your pc running faster.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.