Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Very Slow LAN Speeds

by samnissan2003 / August 15, 2004 4:12 AM PDT

for some reason , my network between my laptop and desktop is very slow, seems like its connected at 10mbps , but its at 100mbps...i already disable norton firewall and antivirus...my laptop doesnt have any anti virus nor firewall because its not expose to the internet. what can i do to speed things up?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Very Slow LAN Speeds
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Very Slow LAN Speeds
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Very Slow LAN Speeds
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2004 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Very Slow LAN Speeds

Your post lacks details about your network. It would be sheer luck if someone guesses your issue.

Bob

Collapse -
I finially got them connected again but!!!...
by samnissan2003 / August 15, 2004 12:33 PM PDT

i tried doing some ping tests.....and everything other time i loose 25% data....my laptop and desktop do the same thing.....

Collapse -
Re: I finially got them connected again but!!!...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2004 10:06 PM PDT

Looks like bum hardware. Think about what is common to the machines and change that piece.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: try getting a new router.
by samnissan2003 / August 16, 2004 4:27 AM PDT

If i connected the cable modem straight to the Desktop, works fine....straight to the laptop works fine...so the DLink is messing up i think.

Collapse -
by samnissan2003 / August 15, 2004 4:45 AM PDT

Motorola Cable Modem with a D-Linkg 602 Router, i have Win XP Pro on both computers, i already ping each computer and i notice i lose 25% when i have my anti virus on, so i disable that , now i think the problem is my laptop, i can surf the web fast, but when it comes to downloading stuff, or surfing my desktop its slow as hell, right now its downloading at 318 bytes/ sec on a cable modem! and its just a 564K file. i already tried upgrading the drivers, getting new cables and etc...just dont know what to do anymore

Collapse -
Firmware, etc...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2004 5:01 AM PDT

My Dlink wifi-g router was terrible until I updated its firmware. Have you done this?

I also know that from PC to PC transfers may be faster on a hardware switched hub. I don't think this is your issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Firmware, etc...
by samnissan2003 / August 15, 2004 7:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Firmware, etc...

Yes,i already updated the firmware on the D-Link, i uninstalled the norton firewall and antivirus and it just made things worse, cant even see the other computer on the network, now i connected the cable modem straight to the laptop, and it works fine, fast downloading speeds and etc....did the same thing to the desktop...works fine...so im just thinking its the router.

Collapse -
Re: Firmware, etc...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2004 9:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Firmware, etc...

Or there's a worm in a machine?

Try the usual scans with Adaware, Spybot, Cwshredder and Housecall.

Bob

Collapse -
by samnissan2003 / August 15, 2004 9:49 AM PDT

i must guess its the D-Link because i already tried updating my drivers on my laptop, and uninstall them and put them back in as new... Now the D-Link doesnt even want to assign an IP address, by the way, i disable the automatic private address because maybe i thought the D-Link needed alittle more time but on the Network Connection window, the NIC card status shows..
IP Address : 0.0.0.0
Subnest Mask : 0.0.0.0
Assigned by DHCP

and yes i already updated my firmware on the DLink .s

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Another router might be worth a try..
by Michael Geist / August 15, 2004 10:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: got the new router...
by samnissan2003 / August 18, 2004 2:26 PM PDT

Got this router "Network Everywhere" 4 port Router Cable / DSL.... anyways works fine with my desktop and with my laptop...does the same damn thing....doesnt wanna assign IP address....so i think the NIC card on my laptop is messed up BUT if i connect the cable modem straight to the laptop....it works fine!!!....i already reinstall a fresh version WinXP Pro ..and it still does the same thing....so what is going on! please help me

Collapse -
got the new router...start a new thread.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 19, 2004 12:30 AM PDT

Not much in this discussion applies to your new router.

But if this new router doesn't work, return it. The ones I have work after I update the firmware, it not, then I return it.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?