Computer Help forum

General discussion

Very slow internet.

by CAguy / March 19, 2007 2:34 PM PDT

We have had a wireless network in our house for about 2 years now and had not had a problem, one day out of the blue the internet is going super slow, it took me about a minute th load cnet. I dont think i have a virus because i have run sweeps and nothing. I already unpluged it to see if that helped and nothing. any help would be very helpful (lol).

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Very slow internet.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Very slow internet.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
CAguy
by tomron / March 19, 2007 2:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Very slow internet.

If cnet is the only site you are experiencing difficulties with then it's not on your end.Check the FORUM FEEDBACK,there are on going issues.

Tom

Collapse -
Not just cnet
by CAguy / March 19, 2007 2:52 PM PDT
In reply to: CAguy

Its not just cnet its everything i do on the internet. We have 2 other laptops on this network and they are all slow to.

Collapse -
CAguy
by tomron / March 19, 2007 3:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Not just cnet

There are many reasons for a slow computer.Heat,ram,etc.

Have you run any anti virus and/or anti spyware scans?

Tom

Collapse -
Sounds like you need to call your ISP
by grin_n_bare / March 19, 2007 9:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Not just cnet

Or phone company. Depending on what type connection you have. If it's a phone line connection I would suspect a connection on the telephone pole. If you have a cable then something has gone wrong with the cable.

Happy Grin

Collapse -
Perform some test and discuss with your provider
by Cursorcowboy / March 19, 2007 10:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Very slow internet.

1. What speeds do these utilities show for your type connection -- not that you need post the results; simply use them for your own satisfaction.

RoadRunner: http://www.austin.rr.com/speedtest/speed.asp

CNET Bandwidth Meter speed test: http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html

Internet Frog: http://www.internetfrog.com/mypc/speedtest/

SpeakEasy and then "Choose a server" (Same one each time used for the history): http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/ (Copy this line to the Address Bar and then press ENTER).

2. Before running any link a second time delete the internet cache - Tools, Internet Options, Delete File and then click OK.

3. Most ISP/Cable companies will only guarantee against "packet loss" and not that your system will maintain a given connection at speeds of . . . Arm yourself with some statistics with the above utilities to see if it falls within acceptable areas or not so that you can intelligently discuss it with your ISP/Cable company and then decide whether they are good enough to stay with. NOTE: If the utilities do not provide a "log" which can be saved it will be up to you to keep personal notes either on the computer or by pencil and paper of when the site was used along with the date and time the test was performed and their resulting speed.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!