General discussion

Very slow boot up with WIN XP

In december I bought a new EMachine computer:
Pentium IV
512 RAM
CD R/W
DVD Player
WIN XP Operating System.
The only two things I have added to the computer since I bought it is a LinkSys Wireless network card (which works fine most of the time) and COX Security Suite.

About a month ago it started taking up to 20 min to boot up, works fine once it boots up. I decided to leave it on all the time, but sometimes it needs to be restarted to get the network card to work, which of course takes 10 - 20 min.

I have verified that there is nothing in the BIOS (such as a antivirus check) that is slowing things down, and there doesn't appear to be any extra software programs being loaded on boot up nor any other checks being done. I also defragged twice, to no avail.

It seems to boot up OK in safe mode, which makes me wonder if the hard drive is already going bad on me.

Any Ideas????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Very slow boot up with WIN XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Very slow boot up with WIN XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Things To Do

In reply to: Very slow boot up with WIN XP

First, make sure you have no spyware which is slowing things down. Please download, install, update, then run ALL of the free spyware removal programs from the links below:

Ad-Aware">http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/]Ad-Aware

Collapse -
two times shut down

In reply to: Things To Do

hi Grif,

I've done all the suggested prior to coming to this forum. Hmm doesn't seem to help. Currently i have a firewall, virus protection, adware and spyware protection. So my pc is running without threat so far.
I've also clean up my pc periodicly. However, resently i just installed adaware. Another spyware protection other thank webroot, the one that i already have. So i have two anti-spyware software running together. Don't know if that may be the cost.
Thanks for replying

Collapse -
Shuts down

In reply to: two times shut down

You should start your own thread since your issue is different (computer shuts down)

Tom

Collapse -
CX, Please Respond IN Your Previous Thread..

In reply to: two times shut down

Collapse -
error 9

In reply to: Things To Do

looks like I have some work to do ! Thanks for the help Grif...Xjmpr

Collapse -
In addition to Grif's advice

This might help somewhat

I have 2k pro and did something similar and I see the results

Windows XP

Click Start, right-click on My Computer, then click Properties, click on the Advanced Tab, in the Performance section click the Settings Button, then put the Dot next to Adjust for best performance, click the Apply Button on the lower right, click OK and OK on the last box. Try it, if you prefer it the way it was, you can easily follow the above steps and put the Dot next to Let Windows choose.

You say it boots Ok in safe mode,but are concerened about the hardware.

Here's what i found

The way to test a System State is
with Safe Mode. If your computer
boots in a reasonable time
using Safe Mode then it is not a hardware
issue. (A Safe-Mode
boot should complete in 25-35 Seconds)
http://www.miclasificado.com.ar/cgi/News/i49/Very_slow_windows_xp_boot_up.php

Maybe install CCLEANER,to eliminate all the junk at shutdown

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Tom

Collapse -
IMO there's nothing to do...

In my opinion theres nothing to do, as XP's genarally get slower and slower every day. I remember it started out being super fast, but now its slow as a mule (however the slowness is contributed partly by the 2 monitors and crappy default video card on the small one). If you find your computer stopping for several seconds or maybe minutes, then you PROBABLY have an outdated video driver, this is my case, but I'm running PCI (silly me, got this computer before PCI E was out) so the best video driver I can buy wont help much.

Also, as said before, if you're safemode boot doesnt boot in under a minute, you've got to replace some bits, I'd recommend re-selling the machine and building a new one with PCI E (don't take all my advice or go too far, after all, I'm usually wrong)

Collapse -
If Your Computer Takes 20 Minutes To Boot, Then...

In reply to: IMO there's nothing to do...

..your's can be helped also.. I take care of multiple computers and NONE of them take more than about a minute to boot into "normal" Windows. We don't experience major "slowing" over time because we clean things up.

Generally, you don't have to "buy" a new video driver as you indicated.. Most are downloaded free from the manufacturer's website.

And why resell the machine when it was just purchased in December?

In your case, it might help to follow the steps suggested in the earlier posts of this thread and try one more thing as well. Toggle your DMA on/off using the link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.