Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Very slow and very odd performance after installing updates

I recently installed the Win XP Service Pac 2 update and ever since my system seems to be deteriorating at an almost hourly rate. The system is crawling along; extremely slow to open or close any programs; very slow to shutdown; lots of background things going on ? trying to almost constantly update MS software; asking for passwords at startup and to access MS programs ? I have no passwords on the system since I am the only user. In addition, using Photoshop [which is my business!] has become a major chore ? the system is sluggish in executing any commands, opening files, editing, etc. I do not receive any error messages; however, the system hangs on what, at least to me, appears to be a random basis. I have been unable to duplicate a crash/hang that occurs when using a particular software or executing a command. All of these problems appear related to this update, since prior to installing the update the system ran well. I have already attempted to restore the system to a point prior to installing the update but I was unable to do this because the system does not appear to recognize any restore points. Any advice? Ideas? Help? Thanks!

System specs: Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz; 1GB Ram; 80GB drive; 2 ?external drives. Microsoft Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Very slow and very odd performance after installing updates
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Very slow and very odd performance after installing updates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What prep work did you do before SP2?

In reply to: Very slow and very odd performance after installing updates

Many don't clean out the spyware before the update.
Tell what you did to get ready.

You likely installed not only SP2 but .NET which is an optional module for most. It would have it change to multiple logons and you will get the logon back until you use tweakui or what method you prefer.

In closing, don't fall for "I'm the only user" trap. Many forget to have a spare account in case their profile suffers some damage and get locked out.

Bob

Collapse -
Prep for download of SP2

In reply to: What prep work did you do before SP2?

A small caveat if I may: I am not a computer wiz, I am photographer who relies on my computer for my work ? next to my camera equipment my computer is the most important asset for doing my work.

Prior to downloading and installing the update I reformatted the hard drive (motivated by other problems not related to this update); reloaded Win XP, ran an adware/malware/spyware program (Symantec) and also the same type program from the MS website; after all of this was completed I downloaded and installed the update.

Thanks for the warning about making sure to always have at least one other account profile ? I learned this one the hard way! When I stated that I was the sole user it was simply to clarify that no one else uses this system so I cannot blame another user for the problems.

Several people (again, not computer guru types) have suggested that I simply reformat the drive and reinstall Win XP and download the update again. I am not sure that this will resolve my issue ? and, of-course, there is that time factor involved in doing all of this once again.

One final, really stupid question: would the fact that my 2 external hard drives are formatted as FAT 32 and the internal is formatted NTFS cause these problems? Should the externals be reformatted to match this format type?

Thanks!

Collapse -
How did you reformat?

In reply to: Prep for download of SP2

Did you reformat with a restore CD that came with your particular computer, or from the standard Windows XP CD? If from the XP CD, you may need to install chipset drivers separately depending on your motherboard type. Without these drivers installed, you could experience serious slowdowns and other problems. It's just a thought, but maybe it's not SP2 that caused the problems.

Collapse -
How system was reformated

In reply to: How did you reformat?

Thank you for taking time to respond. I reformated using the CD that came with my system - a Dell Deminsion 8200. I assume - a very dangerous thing to do! - that the correct drivers would be included on this CD???

Collapse -
I have the full picture now.

In reply to: Prep for download of SP2

Formatting and installing Windows is not an easy task. While you told a little about it, not many know to find, install MOTHERBOARD and/or USB drivers specific for their system. I can't comment any deeper since no make/model of all the parts was omitted from your post.

It's a common trap and one that Microsoft has yet to address.

Bob

Collapse -
More on the full picture

In reply to: I have the full picture now.

Hi Bob and thanks for taking the time to try to help. I installed WIN XP using the CD that came with my system. My system is a Dell Deminsion 8200. I assumed that the correct drivers were on this CD since according to the Dell tech who provided directions for the reinstall, those drivers were on the CD. I'm sorry, but I am not real clear as to what drivers may have been omitted when I reformated and reinstalled the system.

Collapse -
Better focus.

In reply to: More on the full picture

That's gets you up to XP SP1 and the drivers that came with the machine, but Dell may have issued updates to get the machine ready for SP2. I know HP had some boatload of machines that you could not install SP2 on until a HP PATCH was applied.

You need to check what Dell has for your machine and catch up.

Bob

Collapse -
Makes sense

In reply to: Better focus.

Once again, Bob, thank you for taking so much time trying to help me resolve this issue. I will check with Dell to see if there are updates that I missed.

Collapse -
The drivers and factory installed

In reply to: Makes sense

software come on separate CDs. All of them are included with your system. The drivers may not be the latest but, it can get your started. If you can't find the CDs, you can always find what is needed at Dell.com. Go to service and support, enter your service tag number and you will find the drivers needed for your system.

Collapse -
Better...

In reply to: Makes sense

...ask Dell Support on how to update to SP2 for your model. You may even get a free CD with everything.

Collapse -
Re.

In reply to: Very slow and very odd performance after installing updates

Hi there !

Some thoughts....

1. Do you have partition on your HD ?
Wrongly done partition can give serious hick-upp?s.
If having 2 drives....could there be some residue of whatever harmfull exe-files on your second drive.
Or on your external drives ?

2. Is your videocard driver the latest version ?
If not...try to update.

3. Could it be related to right-clicking ?
If so....
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7813-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=43740&messageID=516951

4. Have you checked your tasklist for bad exe?s running ? Is the cpu in the red field ?http://www.processlibrary.com/notfound/index.php
http://www.tasklist.org/tasklist_b.html

Good luck Happy
Viper

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.