Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Very Slow after...

by SamuelS / April 11, 2006 10:26 AM PDT

initial boot up. I get to the main screen and it takes almost 10 minutes to fully load. Then to open my SeaMonkey browser is another four minutes or so. This is all on my laptop computer running Win XP Pro 2. Below I have shown the items which appear in Win. Task Manager:

CplBCL50.EXE
atiptaxx.exe
TSC.EXE
pccguide.exe
ctfmon.exe
ati2evxx.exe
explorer.exe
spoolsv.exe
TmPfw.exe
seamonkey.exe
wdfmgr.exe
tmproxy.exe
svchost.exe network service 2992k
svchost.exe system
svchost.exe network service 3952k
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
slserv.exe
smss.exe
taskmgr.exe
PcCtlCom.exe
sqlservr.exe
mdm.exe
Winword.exe
System
System idle process

The following items are in my 'Start Up Inspector' program as being able to start up when booting up:

ATIPTA
ATIModeChange
KernelFaultCheck
pccguide.exe
cplBCL50
ctfmon.exe

Any suggestions or recommendations for me? Something I may have forgotten to mention? I have done the scan for viruses and the like to no avail, maybe there is something I have missed? Thanks for your input and assistance.

SS

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Very Slow after...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Very Slow after...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samuel
by tomron / April 11, 2006 12:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Very Slow after...

Heat could be an issue,fan(s)and/or dust

Heres a LINK to clean up unnecessary start up programs.

You said you scanned.did you use ad-aware and spybot

Install CCLEANER

Tom

Collapse -
Specs?
by John.Wilkinson / April 11, 2006 12:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Very Slow after...

A usual culprit is a slow computer...running Windows XP on a computer with 64MB RAM and a 233MHz processor (the bare minimums) is going to be like driving a nail into a 2x4 using just your bare hand. Thus, knowing your specs and age of the laptop would help in the diagnosis. Based off of your task list, here's a few points:

* CplBCL50.EXE is used by the quick shortcut keys on your laptop...optional.

* atiptaxx.exe is the system tray icon for your ATI graphics card...unless you use that 'shortcut' a lot, disable it.

* ctfmon.exe...if you don't use the Microsoft text and speach services, disable.

* ati2evxx.exe is a hotkey manager for your ATI setup...feel free to disable.

* wdfmgr.exe is a Microsoft driver manager that may or may not be used by your system.

* slserv.exe is for the SmartLink modem...do you use it?

* sqlservr.exe...SQL Server process...do you need it running?

* mdm.exe...Microsoft's Machine Debug Manager...do you use it?

That shouldn't slow your computer down that much, so there's something else wrong....share anything else you think may be relevant.

Hope this helps,
John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!