General discussion

Very persistent malicious virus/adware/something

So I had the google redirect virus that would redirect me to a new page everytime I clicked something on google. The www.google.ca page itself was fishy just by the looks of things and didn't have the sponsored links part and it also had a spelling mistake "advansed search" right beside the search bar. As well, when I pinged www.google.com in the command prompt, I didn't get the google ip. But I got rid of the virus using this guide:
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-fix-Google-Redirects-t267407.html

Anyways in my attempts to get rid of the virus, I tried to download Spybot S&D but the website never worked and the website is needed for the installation to connect to and download files, so no S&D.

Now I thought I had the virus back but it seems to be hiding. There was one problem I never got rid of which was a fake Windows Internet Security Popup that said I needed to download a Microsoft Online protection tool to protect myself which is just virus slander. Also, the border of this popup wasn't using the ordinary Vista Aero theme that the rest of my computer has, it's using the original theme, or the one that you see on boxes if you're running a full screen game and alt+tab out. So that never went away and often a page won't load at first and at the bottom left of my browser it says page2.googlesyndication, or random tabs will open with a results.gugle something or another URL. So all that is really fishy.

Now today, even though I have MalwareBytes, I tried to go to the site to read about its rogue virus tool but the site wasn't working and I tried www.safer-networking.com to download S&D but that STILL doesn't work.

Could it be possible that this virus is redirecting my pages, hijacking google, hijacking my browser to random ad pages, not letting me access anti-malware software pages AND popping up phony Microsoft Protection prompts?

I'll give you any information you need and provide any scans, proven my computer will let me.

Thank CNET

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Very persistent malicious virus/adware/something
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Very persistent malicious virus/adware/something
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Try

This forum is mostly about Vista. There is a Cnet forum for Spyware and more if no one gives you more specific answers.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks

Thanks Bob, I'll try posting there.

- Collapse -
a good place to start

CNET Forums

Forum Info