Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

very odd sound problem killin me ..

ok i rebuilt a dimension 4100 clean install win 98 se drivers from dell site except audio from creative site.

there are no exclamation marks in device manager

ok i have speakers plugged into the light green audio output 1 1/8" jack. with programs/accessories/entertainment/cdplayer cds will play fine

but with windows media player 9 the media player finds the cd and lists tracks and visualization goes as if it is playing but no sound

also no sound in North America Gunz the Duel (free mmo3rdps)
or hero online (mmorpg)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: very odd sound problem killin me ..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: very odd sound problem killin me ..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Could be playing in analog mode.

In reply to: very odd sound problem killin me ..

If so, is the analog cable connected from the CD drive to the sound card?

Bob

Collapse -
reply to: Could be playing in analog mode.

In reply to: Could be playing in analog mode.

i dont think so, i have tried it with the cord and without it ur talking about the 4 pin black cord yeah? the only one from cd drive to sound card? i cannot understand this ... i change analog to digital in control panel somewhere? under multimedia maybe?

Collapse -
note

In reply to: reply to: Could be playing in analog mode.

i had been told that i shouldn't need this cord... ok tho this could be it

i tried the cdplayer app without the cord connected, no sound.. then connected it and reboot now i get sound.. maybe it is in analog mode? how do i change this?

Collapse -
another note

In reply to: note

this is cdplayer app from programs/accessories/entertainment/cdplayer

not wmp9

Collapse -
Yup,

In reply to: note

Sorry, but in analog playback mode the cord is required. If you run into some tech that says it's not. Get a better tech.

Sorry to read you didn't understand the analog angle on this. But I understand why. It's old school.

Try this in GOOGLE -> XP ENABLE DIGITAL PLAYBACK.

Be aware I don't use Windows Media Player so I can't recall where that setting is, but I can find my way to google land.

Bob

Collapse -
eply to: Yup,

In reply to: Yup,

.. i was told that the cord would not be needed for digital sound that it is an analog cord.. this is ok.. but if it work with it plugged in.. it is in analog mode? how can i change it to digital mode so wmp9 and my gmaes work?/??

btw what media player do u use?

Collapse -
btw

In reply to: eply to: Yup,

this win 98 not xp, should i still search google for XP ENABLE DIGITAL PLAYBACK?

Collapse -
reply to digital audio playback

In reply to: btw

ok well the wmp playback was marked digital i even checked the check errors box.. still not working.. arg..

Collapse -
Winamp, Media Player Classic, VLCPLAYER.

In reply to: reply to digital audio playback

And yes.

Another factor in digital playback is the motherboard chipset drivers. Don't fret, not many know about that interplay issue.

Digital playback is NOT REQUIRED for games to work. If games are not working this likely points to issues that are fading fast from tech memory.

Let me ask this. How long have you used Windows 98? It could answer why you are having troubles.

Bob

Collapse -
reply to: Winamp, Media Player Classic, VLCPLAYER.

In reply to: Winamp, Media Player Classic, VLCPLAYER.

you use all three of those? (media player classic is not wmp?)

ok so i can enable analog playback and it should work for games? what about wmp9? <--if this would work plz let me know..

how do you mean "f games are not working this likely points to issues that are fading fast from tech memory." ????

i used to use 98 back in the day this is a clean install tho with drivers from dell website, except for audio from creative..

Collapse -
Sorry I missed checking the games.

In reply to: reply to: Winamp, Media Player Classic, VLCPLAYER.

Some of those have configuration options for "maximum compatibility".

But first let's dismiss ANY connection of CD ANALOG PLAYBACK (or digital) with the lack of sound from that game. A is not equal to B....

If it's like most games you have to run the DirectX setup after you install drivers. There are even older games that will never play again with today's sound cards. I have no cure except to fit compatible cards.

Bottomline. No more playing with digital CD sound playback. On with the games and DIRECTX.

As to the media players. Yes.
Bob

Collapse -
note3

In reply to: reply to: Winamp, Media Player Classic, VLCPLAYER.

the digital playback or analog playback i am aware of is the one within wmp9 is there one for the whole system i can change? to get analog sound for the games?

Collapse -
(NT) No.

In reply to: note3

Collapse -
btw

In reply to: note3

if you like i can clean install 98 install chipset driver first from dell site then graphics driver from dell site (these work fine) audio driver from dell site didn't work so i used creative sites Live! 5.1(Dell) (it actually says dell next to it) then modem from dell site which gets rid of all exclamation marks in dev manager

but after doing this sound still only plays thru prog/acc/entertainment/cdplayer

not wmp9 or game NA Gunz the duel and Hero online.. if you have something else you would like to try first jes post

btw you seem to know alot if you can help me fix this problem it would be greatly appreciated

Collapse -
btw

In reply to: btw

Since I don't use sounds and don't play games and have no idea how that ties together, I'll just mention that if you go to:

start>run>dxdiag.......you'll get a screen that will allow you to test these sort of things.

If sound and music don't work from there it could be a clue as to why it does not work from games.

Collapse -

In reply to: very odd sound problem killin me ..

DO you actually get ANY sound from the computer (Aside from CD Audio) this really sounds like a driver issue more than anything as the CD will still play in analog mode regardless of sound card drivers. If you arent getting sound anywhere besides the cd music then its a driver issue, if you ARE getting sound in windows then it is most likely a DirectX issue, either out of date direct X or incompatible hardware.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.