Computer Help forum

Question

Very Irritated Problem with Java Auto Updater

by hunghung1 / September 15, 2012 8:26 AM PDT

For several weeks or longer, whenever I turn on the computer, regardless of whether I am online or offline, a flashing icon appears at the bottom of the screen. When I click it, a popup appears and gives the message:

"Do you want to allow the following program to make change to this computer?

Program name: Java Auto Updater
Verified publisher" Sun Microsystem, Inc."

Even after clicking "yes", I still get the flashing icon the next time I turn on the computer (usually just a few hours later), regardless of whether I am online or offline.

I go to the Update tab on the Java Control Panel and UNcheck the "Check for Update Automatically" box. A "Java Update - warning" popup appears and I click "Never Check" (instead of "Check Monthly").

I then click "Apply" and then "OK" on the Update tab and close the Control Panel window. However, when I open the Update tab again, the "Check for Update Automatically" box is still checked!!!

Is there hijacking and how do I fix this problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Very Irritated Problem with Java Auto Updater
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Very Irritated Problem with Java Auto Updater
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
How I fixed that one. And it is temporary.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2012 12:02 AM PDT

It appears the auto-updater does not work on all PCs. So I have to do the update the old fashioned way. I uninstall all versions of Java found in the control panel, and if I feel the need I use that Java removal tool then I install the latest.

Why does this happen? This is my opinion so take it with a dose of salt that today's security tools and more so the folk that install more than one security tool along with the updaters being buggy lead to us doing updates the old fashioned way.

Fast forward to now or today and you may encounter folk that think that all this was worked out. No, we're still in some sort of beta testing phase.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: java auto updater
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 16, 2012 12:09 AM PDT

You can disable the whole auto updating by not running the auto updater. Just uncheck in the Startup tab of MSCONFIG (run it from the start>run box) and it will never appear again.

If you're actually running Java programs or Java applets it won't harm at all to visit www.java.com once every few months to see if there's a new update. Most often it are security updates and why take unnecessary risks by running an old unsecure version?
That's manual updating in stead of an annoying automatical one.

Kees

Collapse -
Sorry but "jsched.exe", the java updater will re-appear
by Steven Haninger / September 16, 2012 1:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: java auto updater

under msconfig the next time you do a manual update. Java and Adobe products both do this. They make a new entry as well. You uncheck it and you get a new line the next time you update them.

Collapse -
Re: re-appear
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 16, 2012 1:53 AM PDT

Yes, that's annoying. So after a manual update (3 times a year?) you need to uncheck it again in MSCONFIG. Much better than having it appear every day.

Kees

Collapse -
unistall of JRE would not work.. HELP anyone
by Jon_188 / April 22, 2014 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: re-appear

By uninstalling the JRE, you would be prompt to update java by this time you update, the system would tell you due to security you are not able to uninstall, Microsoft appointed engineer commented to run jun***.exe as administrator answer in 2010, now in JRE7 there is no such file in binary folder.

What is would do to a computer,

1)SYSTEM Hang when resources run low. I am playing high graphic game and always hang

2)Blue screen to my window vista 1 of my computer that still uses. had to restart on safe mode to recover.

What ever it is just an updater, need to be so demanding on the computer resources?

Collapse -
True. That's why I have to go get the removal tool.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2014 1:56 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?