General discussion

very high ping responses from my Access Point

Hello u Guys,
hope I can get some much needed help from this forum.I've got a few access points working in the 2.4 ghz frequency .At certain times of the day (random) I would receive great response times from it averaging 9ms more or less,but equally at random intervals I'd also receive very high ping responses of 200+ms or at times even as high as 1000ms.At the moment through all my trouble shooting I've come up with nothing else but frequency issues on the basis that 2.4 ghz is a much used frequency band.
Does anyone else think differently or if not does anyone have a solution to my problem other than moving away from that frequency.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: very high ping responses from my Access Point
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: very high ping responses from my Access Point
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That's normal.

As this is not a controlled air space, even a cordless phone can interfere and cause the ping time to climb.

All apologies in advance but has anyone discussed with you about how interference can do this?
Bob

- Collapse -
wireless

thanks for the quick reply Bob.But any extra information on the topic would be very much appreciated .How would I be able to rectify that problem.

- Collapse -
All apologies in advance

But there are web pages about this so I'll keep it short.

1. If your access points can automatically change RF channels to open or more open channels, enable that. Sometime last year (2009) I began to see this feature widely. It's a great one and solves the channel clutter issue.

2. Ban all 2.4GHz cordless phones in your areas.

3. Use WPA or better wifi protection. Those that stick with WEP or less are subject to "kid friendly" hijacks.

4. MAC filters are ineffective and consume your IT staff's time. Disable that, move to WPA or better.

5. Move the access points. EXAMPLE: I found the access points on desks by the printers. Wall mounting along with the above made that office much better and we didn't have to install any new gear.

Hope this gives you some starter ideas.
Bob

- Collapse -
thanks

Thanks for the advice .In anycase all of what you have pointed out are methods that are being used on this network already.These radios in question are all using wpa & wpa2 security.The frequency is changed ever so often and just to top that off the frequencies worth using as an ISP in the 2.4 ghz band are channel's 1,6,and 11.The rest are almost rendered useless if you live in a town or city due to so many routers,telephones etc being used in these areas.We have so many customers we stopped using MAC filtering a while back.And we have tried moving our access points on the towers at least 3 ft away from each other.

My AP's are the rocket M2's .What I have found is that it may also be due to some mis-configuration on my part or ignorance on the behaviour of these radios,with regards to the ack timing,the airmax funtions etc.

I've tried all of what u've suggested above and I get the same results.High ping times at random intervals.

- Collapse -
"the ack timing,the airmax funtions"

How odd. Not a single router I use from Cisco, netgear and the names have me change such things. I use the latest firmware and the above advice without troubles.

I don't dare google what a rocket M2 is. Sounds like someone got a deal.,

-> Some companies that have this trouble just go back to wired for users that have trouble.

WHY THIS WORKS!!! As you move more users off the wifi, you get more bandwidth, lower ping times and all the things you wanted.
Bob

- Collapse -

Sir it's weird that you haven't heard about ubiquiti products.These are the most commonly used products right now in this day and age.Cisco,Netgear....not saying or taking anything away from them but one tend to have to rely on them too much for assistance which usually is where they make their monies back from selling you their products.Thanks for your help .You did give me a good perspective .bye now.

- Collapse -
Wireless ISP gear

After reading this I get the impression you are running a WISP ?

I have used motorola canopy system and since the first thing I see says this is a TDMA device so I assume it is similar equipment.

Since these type of systems are point to multipoint using direction antenna they are not as susceptible to interference. The main issue I used to see with the canopy is when we did not have a clean clock. The clock is used to synchronize all radios and prevent them from transmitting when they are not allowed. Unlike consumer wireless where everyone transmits when they like and you hope not to stomp on each other.

If I read this wrong and this is not TDMA then it is most likely interference.

The only reason I even know what a rocket M2 was is that I have a ubiquiti airview2-ext USB. These are great 2.4g spectrum analyzers for those of use that can't afford wideband ones. There are a couple of other brands but if you are in the business these are so nice for finding random interference and they cost less than $100

- Collapse -
sorry

these rockets are actually full duplex radios .

thanks,

- Collapse -
Cool but one problem.

Not a single laptop I've seen has full duplex wifi radios.

- Collapse -
rockets

sir the topic involves access points and not laptops

- Collapse -
Access points are used by

Client devices which could be laptops.

Ok I'll bite. What client device connects to these access points with a full duplex wifi connection?
Bob

- Collapse -
double chain Cpe's

a few m series products from ubiquiti networks;nanostation m2,nanostation loco m2 etc.
These radios could do up to 16 QAM,with SPATIAL STREAMS OF 2X2 ,and using the 40 Mhz channels they reach throughputs of 180 Mbps up and down giving you aggregates of almost 300 Mbps depending on your signal quality.

- Collapse -
This old thread

Is now closed.

Please start a new discussion.

- Collapse -
Yes, heard of them.

We try new stuff from time to time but those makers often have trouble with firmware or worse. There's little savings if you have to swap out routers or access points due to some bug. So we stick to the names and let others use what they want.

As to assistance our office is blessed since we write embedded and other apps. Almost all the staff can build a network without calling for support.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info